1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pitchford promises Aliens: Colonial Marines investigation

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 20 Feb 2013.

1. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

It sure as hell didn't to my eyes... And even when they did release the high res pack it's still let down by crap animation.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Yeh, got to agree here. Only mods really make Skyrim shine.

3. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I agree that the mods make it look better, but I still stand by my original statement. Perhaps its because I have not played other similar games that looked better.

Any suggestions of games I should try that look better?

4. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Just about any game, Skyrim never looked very good even maxed out. Still looks just like a suped up Oblivion. Even though it's apparently an entirely new engine, they clearly kept a lot of code from Oblivion.

5. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

How about naming a specific game so that I can make a comparison? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just want a game to compare it to. I'm running Skyrim with everything maxed (Ultra settings), dust floating in the air, view distance maxed, etc.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2013
  6. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

GREAT answer. Really. You should be paid to share your keen insight with the world at large.

But seriously, answer his question. We're curious.

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I agree that the mods make it look better, but I still stand by my original statement. Perhaps its because I have not played other similar games that looked better.

Any suggestions of games I should try that look better?[/QUOTE]

off the top of my head:

Witcher 2
    planetside 2
    BF3
    RAGE
    Shattered horizon (well, it's utterly gorgeous lighting system is better)
    quite a lot of recent UE3 games as well (although that one is arguable)

I didn't mean this in a hostile way, just that there are a fair few games that look nicer :p

8. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

This is a classic case of deceit plain and simple. 40GBP for this pile of tripe. If it had just been the graphics, then fair enough. Lets be clear, the first video is not game play. It is rendered. There is no reason to alter the AI in the way they have. PCs have become 10 times more powerful over the years this game has been in development. If the demo was a true demo when it was first shown, then any modern PC would be able to run it today. Fact.

This is a case where the marketing people should be put up against a wall and those of us who were lied to allowed to shot them with non lethal but OMG painful weapons, for as long as we like.

If this had been a real product, then the office of fair trading would have stepped in. But as its a game, who cares if the consumer is ripped off and lied to.

9. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Thanks Kiytan... That's exactly the type of response I was looking for! I've seen RAGE graphics, but only on a PS3. I will likely try out Witcher 2 considering its only $20 US on Steam. I have the original Witcher, but when I first bought it seemed to be plagued with crashes so I never did give it more than a few days try.

10. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

It still is unfortunately, I've tried many times to get into the first game but never did due to the crashes. Will no doubt end up skipping it and playing the second.

11. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

This is off topic but Witcher 1 has been entirely fixed and the enhanced edition is pretty much as good as it gets.
    Similarly with Witcher 2, EE is stable and smooth. Unlike some studios, their developers actually continue to improve the game, add content and give it away for free to reward those who purchase.

12. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Have you been mis-sold Aliens: Colonial Marines???

Have you taken out a Loan to buy A:CM, with payment-protection insurance???

To reclaim your mis-sold or mis-lead Payment, or season pass, if your answer is 'Yes' to any of the above please call Gearbox and demand a Refund

Hurry time is running out to make your claim....

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

But RAGE looks like total ass! You have some Hi-res textures mixed in with the most god awful low res muddy mucky muck textures all in the same scene. An early example is where John Goodman hangs out. Look at him (he looks great) then the till directly to his left. Looks like something from 10 years ago.

That's just 1 obvious example, in the same room there's dozens more. Not only that but none of the items have physics built into them. Try shooting the hanging skulls, the traffic cones, any of the desk clutter and nothing happens.

The disparity between textures is so bad I thought something must be wrong so I started reading up on it, but nope, that's how it is. We are taking about a fully patched version too, I only bought it recently.

Rage really is like a pre-Half life 2 era game in every way except some of the models look great. Which only adds to the jarring nature of actually playing it.

14. DarthVulva

DarthVulva What's a Dremel?

So what happened then? I've not heard anything from them since he said all this...

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I have no idea, but I am enjoying your username.

I might change mine to Obi-**** Klitnobi.

:thumb:

16. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

They brushed it under the rug as expected. I've noticed that some disgruntled gamers mention it every week/month on Randy Pitchfords twitter, asking what has happened to his promise. Not suprising he pretty much ignores/blocks anyone on twitter who mentions it. It was all hot air, a PR smokescreen put up until people forgot about it.

The link mentioned in the article is the most likely reason: http://segabits.com/blog/2013/02/16...segas-money-funded-the-borderlands-franchise/