1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM POTM Entry August 2008: "Deus ex Machina"

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Vigfus, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

[​IMG]
    Deus ex Machina
    Point of view

So, i wanna join the competition...

Apart from doing crazy stuff with fire/ice/cardboard i usually take lots of pictures and never do anything with them eccept to save them as memories. This has got to stop!

During the recent summer-break here i started missing all the kiddies from work and so started fiddling with some of the pictures i've taken of them... And down that road i went. I've been busy cloning people away, changing haircolours and the like for some time now. It's time i go out and take pictures specifically for something, as a challenge.

I'm not one for subtle post processing (i want to be ;)) so please, if you have any tips along those lines - fire away. I can take it.
    I know the hand is terribly overexposed, but i can't really do anything about that since it's all white - and has been since it came out of the camera...

Now to figure out the POTM-site... :geek:

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to figure out why you called it Deus Ex Machina.

Also, I don't get it.

Could you explain?

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I haven't checked, but it looks as though "Deus ex Machina", means "Point of view"

The photo has a view, and a reflection showing a view of him, sort of like showing his point of view, well thats how i interpret it anyway.
    It may just be my browser, but as i see it atm, i'd probably do some pp to lighten up the trees whilst keeping the grass pretty much how it is.

4. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Deus ex machina means "God from machine"...

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

"Deus ex Machina" translates to "God from the Machine." It is a story device that is used to offer a miraculous or contrived answer to a seemingly impossible problem.

Example: The hero is locked in a cell, and there is no way for him to escape. All things being equal, the story is over as the hero is now trapped for good. But wait! Apparently a bird is making its nest in the cell window. The bird just happens to have picked up a hair pin while gathering pine straw for its nest. The hero takes the hair pin and picks the lock, thus escaping and saving the world. The introduction of the bird and hair pin is a Deus ex Machina.

Edit: Confounded, Da Dego. I took too long to type. If only I had a magical button that could turn back time...;)

-monkey

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Maybe the mobile is the magical device that makes it possible to see his point of view?

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I may be waaaay out on a limb here, but I think he used it cuz it sounds cool. Or he translated it literally, not knowing it's origins.

8. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Hehe, maybe i deserved that. ;)

Nono, keep going. You're on a long limb. :) I think it sounds cool and i translated it literally while knowing it's origins.

I've liked the phrase since i got introduced to it (see sig) and wanted to do something different with it. The insinuation that i'm god is only a bonus...

Tags: