1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Blue BoxX - XBoX Moddin .:update 01/03/04:.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BadKarma, 1 Jun 2004.

1. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Great job!!!! that's MUCH better!

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

What a difference a little spot of color makes, eh? When I saw the first pictures with the green jewel, I thought the color scheme looked pretty bad. With the jewel glowing blue, however, that is one keen Xbox.

Makes me want to take the old Dremel and paint cans to my PS2 ;)

-monkey

3. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

wikid mate thats well cool wish i could do summit like that to my ps2

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

looking fantastic. I wish I knew somebody who has all those games.. then I would by an XBox immediatly ! they are pretty cheap ! and I have a 120GB HD laying around aswell..

but I don't like paying for all the games... too bad though, would have been alot of fun!

:'(

L

5. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

Since no one seems to be posting maybe i should!!! ok more updates i guess...
    I walked to the front porch yesterday to get something and i found a tiny package ... it was my mod chip!!! I did not think it would come so early (11am) o well more time for me to put it in.

here is what I will be using from the package.
    [​IMG]

I previously soldered the pin headers into the MoBo ... as i was soldering the last pin... the power went out on my whole street and my basement went competly dark.... I was like "dont move hands...." i was able not to randomly solder anything else in the dark which was good and the pin headers turned out fine
    [​IMG]

so i took the D0 wire and threaded it though one of the empty pin header holes to the back D0 point bc i hear its easier adn it looked bigger... The screw driver and the cirvle point out the D0 on my mobo
    [​IMG]

then I got out the flux and rouched it up with a tiny screw driver and put a little flux on it. to my suprize it went on pretty quick and with out mouch trouble so i quickly taped it down and moved on.
    [​IMG]

i connected the remote switch's cable and the ground screw and pluged the mod chip into the pin header... if you are going to go for a mod chip the pin header is the way to go bc you can always swap out the chip in a sec.
    [​IMG]

then i started putting my xbox back together for the first time in a few days... maybe a week
    [​IMG]

here is the front switch pannel before being mounted
    [​IMG]

and here it is after being mounted
    [​IMG]

and then i started putting the rest of the stuff back in my x box
    [​IMG]

so then i booted it up and cromwell worked fine i just have to get halo21 over to flash my chip bc he has the actuiall chip flasher instead of burning stuff to a cd. and then my friend came over and we played halo so i did not take any more pics of it running.... i am thinking of putting something inside the case behind the jewel to make it look darker when the lights are on.. maybe more window tint but on the dvd drive so when u look into the jewel it looks like blue glowing on a black background. we shall see...

i sent my hard drive out to my friend and expect to get it back before i leave for va beach... the deadline to when i want to have the hardware modded... extra led's n stuff like that wont matter as much. i leave the 10th maybe the 9th so i will have to see.. its going to be close.

untill then leave me some coments or suguestions... i always like to do more.

6. BadKarma

hehe i just noticed that my other project is in the background of this pic :hehe: working on that too atm... :dremel:

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

can you switch the mod chip on and off from outside ?

8. halo21

halo21 What's a Dremel?

yes, you can turn it off from the outside. There is a small bank of switches that mounts to the underside on fhte front. This one has 3 switches: 1. On/off, 2. Bank 1/Bank 2, 3. write protection on/write protection off.

9. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

You sure got :naughty:

[​IMG]

Opening it up and getting soldering in the modchip on such a new xbox! Looks dam nice tho keep up the good work.

10. BadKarma

This may be true but it also might be that I am too stupid to leave a good thing alone.... I have taken apart almost every electronic device in my house... some dont go back together so well.... about the only thing i havent is my iPod... i just can hurt my baby like that.....

11. demonstalker

demonstalker What's a Dremel?

Not exactly wild about the color sceme but it looks alot better with the jewel than it did originally(that is, the first picture of it painted). One tip for your mod chip, I fould that the switches in the front always fell off on mine (take mine to friends and such alot) so, if you move it to the back next to the ethernet port it stays in place alot better(plus normally you don't need to use the switch much so it looks cleaner out back and doesn't get hit as much). Keep up the good work.

12. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

nice work duud :thumb:
    lets see if i can mod the xbox of my pal :dremel:

13. BadKarma

this result was the plan from th begining... the jewel was just done after the paint job so their was a step inbetween where the jewel was still green and it was never intended to stay green. and the blue is a nice color looks a lot better than the pictures show... i will take a better picture when its all done and working...

14. BadKarma

WoooHooo! the Mod chip works and EvoX was loaded onto the hdd via ftp as was a few games I downloaded :D so everything seems to work great as far as the software part is going. Avalaunch will be used on the final version though. my friend will be sending back the drive shortly with that as well as all the games loaded onto it.

the led's got delayed being send.. they should still arive before i leave for vacation though... I am also thinking about moving the chip to the back of the xbox because I dont ever plan on really needing to use it that much and it would look a lot better out of the way.. espically with the green/red led i might cut off either way. i will have more pic's up when I get around to it.. I am working all day again... o yeah and the front of the crtl ports is still black so I may add some led port indicators :naughty: but we will see...

untill then coments please!!

15. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

uhmm i wish i could see more pix than the one on this page :waah:

16. BadKarma

Well I should have my hard drive full of games soon :D I am just waiting for that and the led's to come in the mail any day now... so as soon as they do new pics will be up. Evox and everything else works great so far so i am just playing around with my xbox untill then... come to think of it it will be one of the first times i get to actuially play games on it.... funny...

17. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

I love it! ITs the best looking X-Box i have seen. So simple, but so clean.

Come on! Take it apart! I took mine apart and soldered it and everything....works fine!
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=49882

18. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Why take apart something that works? (hehe, stupid question for this crowd) But if there isn't anything wrong with an iPod, what can you do with it? :p

The xbox is looking good. I didn't like the blue at first, but it looks much better in the later pictures.
    Next time, instead of ordering 3mm leds, you can just sand down your 5mm ones to the right size.
    I've been leaning towards getting an xbox since its pretty cheap now. I'm not much of a console gamer, but there's so much modding potential (would be nice if my gamecube had a hdd or ethernet ;))

Last edited: 21 Dec 2004
  19. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

lookin good, i wasnt a fan of the blue either but its grown on me. :thumb:

20. BadKarma

Thats what I was going for. I am thinking about putting more window tint inside to make it look darker when its on or off. the lighting in my basement is not so bright bc its next to the 53" tv. the basement was an entertainment center at one point... untill i moved all my stuff in next to it. :D I am hoping the led's come today while i am at work... soon as I can I am going to go out side and take pic's with much better light. it's just been raining for the past 3 days and i have been waiting 3 days to go swimming with this hot girl so you can imagine i am pissed. anyway. hdd was assured to be here on or before wed. as i will be either leaving late wed. or early thurs.

I was considering other mods like controler port led's or something like that... well anything to do with led's bc i still have like 40+ 5mm blue led's. so if anyone has suguestions i'm listining... i just dont want to make it look like a circus is inside my xbox :hehe: