1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: PS-Puter Update: 1 November 2005

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Warrior_Rocker, 28 Oct 2005.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

View the updated project log on my personal site, XodusTech.com

OK, this is my first project log so please bear with with me as i try to do it all correctly..

with that out of the way first comes the background of the project i am starting, i have been into sff (small form factor) pc's for a long time now, all my computers are small, very small

i was at a friends house and i noticed that they had a small little metal case for their PSP, it held the psp and all its accessories, as i looked at it further it came to the conclusion that a computer should be built inside, after seeing enough briefcase pc's and the likes i decided to build a sff version

the goal of this computer is to be an allpurpose small lugaround, where there is a need for a computer that is network operable to throw files to, or other such needs, also as an intelligent backup machine, or all purpose backup computer

ebay auction where i purchased the case for this project:>> LINK <<

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    here are some pictures of the case before the carnage took place:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

looking around for what i was going to put inside this little case, i decided why not use a computer that was already small..., so i looked around my room for one of my old shuttles, eureka i found an old shuttle sv24

pictures:

so after i found the computer i would use, i decided to rip it to shreds...
    not literally of course, (just a side note, in the heat of battle i already gutted and modified the shuttle sv24 powersupply, and shortened the 20 pin atx connector, not an easy task, other than that the componets are as they were, just pictured outside of the computer)

let me know what you guys think in my project log discussion thread link below:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=100930

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  2. Warrior_Rocker

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

looks great!!! I have the same case that im modding only with a different take on it. Looks great though. I hope you have some reinforced bits if you are cutting into the actual case becuase i went through a lot of them :D

4. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

Its looking good dude! Put some pics of the motherboard inside it, i still cant imagine it size wise :D And which wifi card did you say you used again?

5. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Looks very promising! could be an awesome mod :)

6. Warrior_Rocker

thx, i like the work you are doing with your project: server... i hope that all goes well :dremel:

7. Warrior_Rocker

Update: 1 November 2005

Completed so far:
    with some success i have cut out most of the motherboard back i/o panel, how ever i ran into a slight snag with cutting the parallel port and the comm port, in that, i had no way with my limited tools (drill and dremel) and limited bits for both, to cut out the proper shape for the port, i just cut out a full rectangle for both of those, and just to note that im not fully done cutting and trimming to make them all look good, at least this allows for the motherboard to be mounted inside the case, however i also ran into a problem while i was marking the holes for the ps/2 mouse and keyboard ports, the keyboard jack just happens to fall right over a rivit for one of the corners, so i dont know if either ill just use a usb > ps/2 adaptor, or if i will cut out at rivit and hope the corner dosent fall off or something...

im open to suggestion on that point if anyone has any ideas

pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

next i think i will go ahead and work on mounting the powersupply and the motherboard, and i will start thinking of my options for mounting the fullsize hd, which more and more seems a bit out of reach in this small little case

let me know what you guys think in my project log discussion thread link below:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=100930

Last edited: 27 May 2012
  8. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon What's a Dremel?

for cutting out the PS/2 port i would cut it out and then carefully put a bit of epoxie to keep that corner piece nice and snug. imho i think it would look a bit better if it was cut out.

9. Warrior_Rocker

yea, not to mention the hassle of having to use one of the usb adators, and at this point in computers, there is virtually no such thing as computer use w/o a keyboard, unless you are using a media pc ( featured in my sig )

but yea, thanx for the tip, i think i may just try some of that clear apoxy that comes in the two tubes

10. DeLorean5000

DeLorean5000 What's a Dremel?

Looking good dude. (i just saw it in person) :rock: Although i would say you need to fix the hinge part and also install some fans... That thing gets HOT ><.. Want to see some more pics when its done though!