Networks Remote desktop HTTP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ch424, 14 Jan 2005.

1. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

My school's firewall blocks the remote desktop port (3389?), and the IT guy said it blocks the actual protocol too, but I'm not sure... There is the mstsc client on the school computers. Internet explorer is locked for plugins. Java is disabled.

Does anyone know a work-around for this please? Like changing the port to be used on my server (I've :search: and do know how, but looks dodgy!) Or perhaps there's some web-based version of winvnc, or like a super-advanced version of cpanel for windows? It must have remote desktop functionality.

Thanks for any help

ch424

2. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

VNC?

But if your trying to bypass a proxy that the school has setup, this isn't the place to be asking. That proxy was put there for a reason.

3. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

goto my pc??

I had real vnc, my college has blocked all ports but port 80.

- S

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

RealVNC indeed, however you can, and should IMO, change the default port for Remote Desktop by editinig a registry key. hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\conrtol\terminalserver\winstations\RDP-Tcp\portnumber

Having said that scoob is right, you shouldnt do it on the schools network but i assume you need to do it so you can contol your PC at home so in essence your not going against the schools policy by changing the port to 80. Just include the new port number when you attach to the PC you want to control

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

OK, thanks all! I can't install vnc on the school computers: they are pretty well locked down! I'll try the dodgy port change idea tho. Its quite amusing really: mstsc is disabled on the PCs, but enabled and actually in the dock on the mac os x machines!

Yeah, I guess they only open ports if it's crucial to have them open. I do have a legitimate reason to get to my server though.

Thanks again

ch424

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Colleges are getting worse for blocking things, yeah i know and understand the reasons they do it but do they have to be so strict with everybody?

For example the college i go to you cant name any of your work with assignment in the title (i.e. assignment PR01 etc.) why? becasue its got ass in it and thats a banned word.

7. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Dodgy .... why dodgy? If anything its dodgy to leave it standard and have it enabled ... isnt it?
    :worried:

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I class editing the registry manually as dodgy :D

BTW, is there a way I can get my router (Netgear) to forward a certain external port (eg port 80 or 8080 or some other http port) to a different internal port (3389)? The router is running zebra I believe.

ch424

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

We run UltraVNC here, you can specify what ports are used in the software so that could get around 1 problem... It can also run in a web browser so that might well get around another....

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Thanks! I'll try that!

ch424

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

www.radmin.com? Uses port 8668 or something, but you can easily change the port of your home radmin server to 80 so it will get through the school network. ;) :D

Only need radmin.exe on a floppy, usb key, or similar to run ont he school computers, then login and control your home deskto. :thumb:

PS - Also have a look at www.webex.com. Not used or looked myself but a director at work uses it for remote desktop control over the internet through a browser.

12. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

wth... its easy to change the port that RDC listens on, its set in the registry... a search on google will bring it up for you!

I know as ive pumped RDC down 8080 before so that i could connect to my home workstation from a clients office.

13. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

give an example

my school district blocked google images, I'm still mad about that... :grr:

14. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

if your handy with port tunneling

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ on your home machine - follow the instructions for setup explicitly they are quite tricky.

http://startputty.com/ for putty (too connect to your home machine)

in the session tab - IP and leave the port as 22 (standard SSH, it shouldnt be blocked)

in the tunnel section

Source port : 5007 is what I use

desination localhost:3386

click the local radio button.

now for the science part. copy from the windows directory mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll into a new directory.

set both files to windows 98 compatibility mode.

then simply run your copies of mstsc and connect to localhost:5007 (assuming thats the port you chose otherwise whatever you decided on).

you should now be able to connect to your home machine. with an encrypted connection I might add.

15. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Very nice tactic there :)

16. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

You don't have to install VNC on the School's PC. Just install it at home, and set the server running, then you can use the web browser to go to http://yourserver: port

17. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

I suggested TightVNC because you don't need a regedit just to change its port..

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

you still missed my post...

using the program gotomy pc.

Oh well

- S

19. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

OK, thanks alot all of you!

I'll try all your suggestions till one works!

starting with changing the normal remote desktop port this weekend.

Then I'll try the vnc from within IE

Thanks for your suggestion sc0rian -- I don't wanna have to pay :)

ch424

Tags: