1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Rotating weekly menu (Access 2k3 help)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dad, 18 Oct 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Not the menu you're all thinking, a cafeteria lunch menu. I want to put the hospital cafeteria menu on the Intranet and am stumped. They have 3 standard menu's, let's call them a, b and c.. This week, menu "a" will be sent, next week it will be menu "b" and the following week will be "c". After that, they go back to "a".. I'm trying to create a page that will pull the correct menu for this week and display it. Then when Sunday rolls around, it will switch to menu "b", then the following Sunday switch to "c". After menu "c" is displayed, we go back to "a". Like this:

a
    b
    c
    a
    b
    c
    a
    b
    c
    and so on

I can get the information and display it. I can also do it if the menu choice is changed by hand, but can't for the life of me figure out how to change it automatically. Any ideas?

I'm doing this with classic asp...

Last edited: 18 Oct 2005
  2. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Okay, I'm coming to find out that the way I'm thinking is completely wrong. I guess I need to do a bit of automation, which I've never done before and need help with...

Every Saturday night at 11:59pm est, I need the server (Windows 2k3) to kick off an Access macro which will look at a special table called "active" and see if there is a 1, 2 or 3 stored there. After that it will take that number, increase it by 1 and write it back to the table. However, if it is a 3, just reset it back to 1. It's easy for me to do this with asp, but I've never done it with Access itself. Essentially this is what I need to do:

"active" is the name of the table
    activeMenu is the name of the data row within "active" which holds the data

Code:
    <%
    if active.Fields.Item("activeMenu") = 3 then
      menu = 1
    else
      menu = active.Fields.Item("activeMenu") + 1
    end if

<<script to write the value of "menu" into the activeMenu field 
    in the "active" table.>>
    %>
    That's the logic I need, but I don't know how to do that as a macro in Access.

3. laoda

laoda What's a Dremel?

It would probably be easier to write a vbscript file that would run as a scheduled task using cscript.exe. Either that or you could do a mod 3 on the week of the year (1 to 52) to determine which menu to display.

4. planki

planki ...