1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Self hosted replacement for Google photos

Discussion in 'Software' started by ShakeyJake, 6 Feb 2021.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hello all.

Like a lot of people are (and a lot, lot more should be!) I'm a little concerned about the upcoming pay wall for Google photos. I have thousands of photos in there and I'm so used to my photos being automatically backed up from my android phone.

I've been looking into self hosting a replacement but I'm confused. Most of the options such as nextcloud or whatever seem to require a domain or a dns and this is stuff I'd rather not mess with. I dont need access outside of my WiFi, does that make it easier?

I have a server running debian stable, with plenty of grunt (1230L v3 and 16gb ram) and enough storage, as well as a backup server for important data. The server runs plex, can that do this?

Is something like nextcloud the best way to do this? I'd like the added cloud server ability if I'm honest, can anyone point me to an easy setup guide?

If not, is there a piece of software (and corresponding app for my android phone) that can replicate the ease of what I have currently? When my phone is on my home WiFi, my photos automatically back up to the cloud. If not then how close can I expect to get?

Thanks!
    Jack

Last edited: 6 Feb 2021
  2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Something like Seafile should be enough. You don't need to set DNS or anything of the sort, just set the private IP of your server. Once you're home, the app should find it.