1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple sharing

Discussion in 'Software' started by x-rae, 10 Aug 2005.

1. x-rae

x-rae What's a Dremel?

ok i've got the ol pc and mac playing nice over the network but i have a request for a suggestion. i have a new 200 gb hd unformatted and i'm planning to use it to dump all my photoshop work+image files from the mac and all the music from the pc. what OS should partition the hd? or do you have other alternative ideas?

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Partition...

Here is one of the joys of mac to pc compatability.

Each system can read FAT16 and FAT32 file systems. PC's now use NTFS, Mac uses MAC OSX extended (or Unix file system) which pc's can not write to (or see if plugged directly in).

Here are your options... assuming extenal.

1. music partition in fat 32 (about 30 GB max) and the rest in mac file system. OR Two FAT32 partitions (one for music and one as a shared "swap" folder) and the rest as mac.

2. Or FAT32 1 partition and the rest NTFS or...

The options are endless. It all really depends on which machiene that you use more and need more space for.

3. I'd just keep it all as FAT32 as both platforms can read and write it.

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Well yes, but FAT32 isn't that good of a system.
    I would make a FAT32 partition on it the size of all your music. And the rest as a Mac-filesystem. Mac comes with a partition program to do that for ya.

Do use it as an extern hd though!

L

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

umm unless its an external disk (usb or firewire) just stick it in either and format it as their native filesystem then share over the network
    Fat32 sucks, thats a really crappy compromise

6. x-rae

x-rae What's a Dremel?

yes it is an external :[

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

then you could do the same thing, you wouldnt be able to plug it directly into the other machine but you can still share it :)

8. x-rae

x-rae What's a Dremel?

finally decided just format it with mac, share the drive and copy over whatever i need to from the pc.

Tags: