1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of the newbs?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Sam0r, 28 Mar 2006.

1. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

From being in the IRC channel, and browsing the forum, that most of the newest members that sign up, simply sign up to ask questions, which to us "enthousiasts" seem stupid.

So, What I propose is this, quite simply create a sticky, sort of an F.A.Q. in each of the forums, with common problems and solutions, example:

Obviously that's not exactly what it'd be like, you'd have to give some linkage to a sheet with all the processor names and their real speeds.

Maybe it'd work, I think its worth a try, what do you think?

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

3. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Yeah bigz, I thought of posting that in said thread, but this was more of a sugestion to help out the newbs.

Also, I thought that thread was mainly about the slow-down of the forum.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

not just that, it's about the whole package/experience. ;)

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Didn't there used to be a fair few stickey's in Hardware / Video cards? What ever happen to them?

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

There did, but there needs to be someone who keeps them up to date otherwise they're useless.

7. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

You could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak if you used a Hardware KOTH.

All of the noob questions are okay to an extent, we have all been there and show noob tendencies from time to time...probably just me! Its the same questions time and time again...what PSU? What Mobo? What GPU?

I think you could erredicate these types of repetitive questions if you show people buying recommendations based on your reviews (okay you already do but maybe it could be improved). Considering that you use the same tests each time you review hardware this would be quite simple. After conducting your benchmarks you could add the results to a KOTH page. This could be done to cover the spectrum of budget-bleeding edge equipment. If you also combined the best components to show complete budget-bleeding edge systems then people will know what to buy, and what performance to expect...Reducing the instances of What? considerably.

An additional benefit of this is that you will also reduce the repetitive overclocking questions. Considering that you overclock the hardware under review, whilst listing the adjustment you made....poof...people can follow in your footsteps! This is baby steps for noobs, and good starting points for the more experienced visitors

If you listed the top three product within each category i.e. Gold,Silver,Bronze.....also for complete systems then it gives people a fall back solution.

Just an idea!

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

9. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

I know I'm probably considered a newb by many of the pillar users here at bit-tech but it really is disappointing the level of newbishness around. Anyone take a look it the Hardware & Overclocking section? It used to be bleeding edge hardware and burning it up. Hardware mods and other hardcore stuff all around. Now people stammer around for a dozen posts answering simple questions as one newb fails to help another. I don't have anything against them personally, after all we all are at one point or another newbs, but they do seem to have proliferated these forums. Of course I’m something of a enthusiast myself (fluorinert anyone?).

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

And when threads which are hardcore (Fatty's big 4 g'sa anyone?) theres no posts at all... Kinda gives the impression that no one actually gives a crap...

No offence guys, but can see the suggestions made by the staff having little/no effect....

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The issue is not about newbies, the issue is about some people's attitude. Newbies generally are interested, motivated and eager to learn. Some people however want things on a silver platter, want to run before they can crawl (and get annoyed when people point out that is not possible), and absolutely refuse to do any reading for themselves.

As for Fluorinert, that would be me. :)

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Well said.

I think that (discussed in the other thread) a hardware/OC'n wiki is probably the best way to fix some of this. The forum part of it would be a good place to brag about your insane OC and ask very speciffic questions.

13. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I agree, although i think the wiki is a great idea (i'd probably read just about all of it) i still really like getting direct feedback on specific problems and/or concerns from the experienced members of the forum and the wiki would most likely lack that kind of personal attention, although its still a good idea.

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Well, the wiki doesn't rule OUT someone getting personal attention to their question. In fact, if the wiki doesn't quite answer, but the person posts a question referencing the article and saying, "But I looked here and I'm still left wondering...." then it will not only take a huge amount of anger out of the old salt who responds to that post (thus making it more helpful), but it also gives new ideas of other things to add to that article in the wiki.

If it's such a newb question and the wiki still didn't answer it, well, we can't fault someone for asking, can we? It's all about showing that you had the motivation to look in the first place...that you're not just looking for the senior members to regurgitate the same responses because you're not willing to use the search or check the wiki.

Overall, I think the wiki is the win-win.

15. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Well it looks like the wiki idea is at least a go.

16. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

So.. Does anyone have (at least) a temporary wiki set up?

If not I'll get on it, but it'll only be temporary untill either bit-tech hosts it or someone pays for some decent hosting.

Edit:

Got bored: http://www.trippie.co.uk/bit-wiki/

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  17. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Big question here.... people don't use the search on the forums now or even read the sticky threads so why do you think they're gonna bother to read a wiki?

18. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Maybe instead of out los and dear departed test forum, we could have a newbie room instead, where newbs post, and have access only to that room for 15 days or something. Then they'd get all the stupid questions out of their systems and frankly, anyone that does go in there can expect the worst....

19. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

That wouldnt really do anything to solve the newb problem though. Its not difficult to add a bit to the forum terms that tells you to try to search the wiki and see if it has answers to the problems (once its more fully established). Repeat offenders can be dealt with through suspensions and or bans.

20. ToiletGamer

ToiletGamer What's a Dremel?

I am probably the main cause of this thread with my 3 page topic full of idiotic questions but I did try my best on my own but there was just nothing else I could do without a few (OK alot :thumb: ) of pointers from a people who obviously know alot more than me, but trust me I am eager to learn.