1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Carolina is so NOT GAY

Discussion in 'General' started by Cthippo, 18 Jul 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

Actually, based on this, i would say South Carolina is acting pretty gay, and I don't mean that in a homosexual connotation.

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

They should have said that about California as NO ONE would have cared or gotten bent out of shape about it... In fact I bet the "Terminator" would have totally been "azsome" about it.... ;)

3. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

maybe South Carolina should be renamed "South Carolina - The Brokeback Mountain" state at which point a poster saying South Carolina is "so gay" would probably be considered a tamer alternative hehehehe

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

surely by having 'gay days', gay people are the ones being prejudiced?
    why not have a 'we don't really care what sexuality you are' day?

there. problem solved: "South Carolina doesn't care what sexuality you are"

actually this is what i like about the current anti-homophobia campaign in the UK. the billboard that's all black with the huge white writing "SOME PEOPLE ARE GAY. GET OVER IT!" is just plain genius. it's not preaching, it's not all pro-gay, it's basically "this is how it is; don't jump on the pink fluffy bandwagon if you don't want to, just frikkin' deal with it."

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If South Carolina doesn't want any Pink Pounds (or Pink Dollars), I'm sure there are plenty of other US cities and states who will take it instead. Why turn away money just because the person spending it happens to be gay?

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i think they have an issue with being branded a 'gay city' - i would have an issue with london being branded that too! not because i'm a homophobe, but because it completely and utterly goes against any pretence of equality, and biases it the other way. there's no such thing as "positive" discrimination!

7. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

everywheres gay.. there i've said it.. now deal with it lol

8. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

We've got Brighton here, why not one over there? :lol: :p

9. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Except for Iran, they have no gay people :hehe:

I agree with that UK billboard Fod said, it's about how I feel about the whole thing.

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

They do, however, have transgendered people.

11. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

South Carolina ISN'T gay? Damn... well there go my holiday plans...

:p

12. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

First every stare has Gays in it and the costal area he is refering to covers the whole length of the state. nany times larger than vegas. but it sounds like to me that Mr Roberts is just retaliating because he has hurt feelings over something. and after living in these areas I can tell you there is no LARGE gay area in Charleston,Hilton head or myrtle beach. they do have gay bars but there is no large section of these.

But South Carolina may in fact be "gayer" than many suspect. Andrew Roberts, CEO of Amro Worldwide, visited South Carolina after the state's tourism board expressed interest in the campaign, and says he toured several gay venues, including largely gay sections of mainstream beaches, in Charleston, Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach. "A few people in South Carolina need to wake up to what's going on in their state," he says. "There are more gay bars along that coastal strip than there are in Vegas."

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

What's a gay beach? And do I want to know what goes on there?

14. ClearCaseMan

ClearCaseMan Acrylic GOD

Sorry , no Gay beaches here. gotta send you to san fran for that kind of action.

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It's a beach where gay couples go to enjoy the beach without being harassed by small-minded bogots.

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Oh, I wouldn't have thought that even required a separate beach.

17. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I'd have thought that in order to solve the beach problem, all you would need to do is pick up your stuff and take a 5 minute walk down the beach. Or stop kissing guys near rednecks. Or buy a tent :p

Just out of interest, how strong is the Bit-Tech gay community?

I seem to remember that M3G4 dude might have been... though I'm not sure where he got to...

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I can understand a gay bar or nightclub, but a gay beach?

Why would gay people want their own beach? I'm pretty sure that in the US, at least, it's illegal to have sex on a a public beach, whether it's a man and a woman or two men or two women. A beach is a fun place to enjoy the sun and sand and the ocean, to tan or go swimming or surfing. Many beachgoers are families with young children, so anything not PG-rated is frowned upon.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

For some reason, when people think of a "normal" public beach they immediately conjure images of kids playing in the surf, bikini-clad hotties tanning on beach towels, and attractive couples holding hands during a romantic stroll. But when someones mentions the 'G-word,' thoughts immediately turn to sex and debauchery. That's why some people in the gay community are keen on the idea of a gay beach. A guy can walk down the beach holding his boyfriend's hand and not have every narrow-minded person casting an evil eye, accusing them of sexing up the beach in front of their innocent children.

It's funny how nobody ever seems to object to string bikinis or beach volleyball.

-monkey