1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Syndicate review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2012.

1. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Now that's a bad score.

2. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

What a bloody disaster. Utterly disappointed but not totally unexpected..

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I dunno really anymore with reviews :D some get badly rated & I really like the game, some get highly rated & I think they are garbage, some times I highly agree with the reviews but it isn't so often.

Good to see someones opinion on them though, I just watched a video on this game on youtube & it didn't look so bad but it was just a 12 minute show off for the game so ugh think I'll join the bargain bin folk on this 1 & assume the review is spot on. :D

4. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Awww...This has actually made me really sad...:(

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Reviews are opinions, so not all of them match everyone else's. In any regard, this isn't a bad review - a 5/10 is average, not bad. Though it is disappointing.

There are some games which get really bad reviews (or which even I have to give bad reviews to because I can see how terrible they are) but which I also really enjoy. Sin Episodes, for example. It's different strokes for different folks.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Do you suppose that the issue with a game getting a bad/poor/meh review and when you actually try it yourself its not too bad or even quite enjoyable might be a result of the reviewers seeing a lot of similar games?
    They then think along the lines of "huh another (insert generic game type) clone, bloody fed up with them" where as the average punter might only pick and choose one or two games of the type and still enjoy them.

7. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Christ, I loved the bullfrog version.

A great opp missed, why bother making another FPS with the Syndicate licence. Just call it something else...

8. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

I can't agree with the review's conclusion. I think the game is a little bit better than said. I'd say it's palyable no less than Mirror's edge for example. I have never heard of the Syndicate franchise before, so i don't have any past recollections or connections. And with an open-mind perspective I think it's a good title. Far from great or brilliant, but overall a must play for FPS fans and people with some spare time. This review reminds me of the Singularity debate. To calrify: there were two groups there. Thi first one saying: Ooo it's Raven they sould do it better, this is mediocre. And the second group that just played the game and had a lot of fun. Well, I am in the second group concernig this one. Having in mind the severe constraints during the development process this is a far better than some teams with much greater freedom and budget.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I approach games from a very similar perspective to Joe, so I "get" his reviews, as I'm sure the majority probably do.

That's not to say that you shouldn't do a little more research, because every review will have been written from a different perspective - reviewers are not all automatons, and they will have huge differences of opinion.

Take a look at any review aggregation site and you will see that with any major release the difference between the highest and lowest scores is quite substantial. Know your reviewer, understand what makes them tick, and you will be able to gain a lot more from his or her opinions.

10. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

It was clear this was going to be rubbish the moment it was announced. Hopefully now they get the message - rebooting old games its the mechanics not the world that matters!

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah but a big part of the problem is that much like how all games aren’t created equally, nor are all reviewers. Unsurprisingly game trailers gave syndicate 8.2 out of 10. The real travesty is that companies like GT.com give far too many games scores that are more than they deserve. I’d like to see more games in the 6’s and 7’s, it would not prevent me playing them if I liked the look of them but would cut back on the disappointment of an over generous score.
    I'm glad Bit-tech gave such an average looking game such an average score.

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

I'm vaguely surprised by this review... The Verge gave it 80% and raved about how they thought it was brilliantly executed and enjoyable...

Goes to show that it definitely depends on the personal opinion really.

Ultimately depends on expectations and preferences!

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The original Syndicate is available on gog, just get that if you are after a good game, this however is just a attempt to turn dirt into gold, or in other words, a attempt at making a crappy game sell by sticking a famous name on it.

14. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Gonna play this one since I don't have the patience for Deus Ex. This is a dumb mans Deus Ex and that suits me fine :D

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It had mediocre written all over it since it was announced.

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Pretty much this.

The last 2 paragraphs of the review summed up exactly what I thought of this game when it was first announced/trailer'd.

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah I have to keep that in mind a 5/10 from you is not bad really & translates to 70 or 80% elsewhere :D other reviewers really overuse the above average score if it's deserved or undeserved & can be misleading so to stand up & be real like this I think you rock for doing good reviews, I believe I'd sometimes have difficulty staying unbiased if I reviewed games as would most people. :D

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So true :)

19. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

In fairness to it, if it can provide a decent co-op experience that isn't based around zombies it's got to be worth a punt.

20. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

All sounds fair. To be honest, I was mostly interested in this for the co-op anyway. So it's good to hear that that's not awful at least. Certainly a bargain bucket game, but one I hope coud still provide some good co-op fun in a release gap later in the year.

Tags: Add Tags