1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Text looking scratchy on a radeon 570

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 19 Mar 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My son uses our portable pc to run his driving sims on.

He has a dual screen setup using an old 24" Samsung tv and an old 19" dell monitor, the TV is connected through HDMI and the Dell is DVi.

We recently had a 270X in it but after he got to play his games while testing the 570 I was given for my nieces pc he decided he wanted one for this pc and we managed to grab a bargain on Facebook locally.

The card only has one DVi which would be the preferred connection for both monitors so we have had to resort to HDMI.

How can we resolve the scruffy looking text on icons etc?

My daughter recently borrowed the pc for a week while I was working on hers and had no issues connecting using HDMI and my sons 360 runs fine with HDMI too.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Forgot to say we have been circumventing it by using the IGPU on the I7 2600 to run the Dell but would prefer to use the main card.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Things to check:
    - TV does not have overscan turned on
    - TV does not have sharpness setting turned up (some use 0 as the 'don't filter please' point, some use 50%, some just put it at a random part on the scale)
    - GPU settings does not have overscan or sharpness boost 'helpfully' turned on
    - GPU is set to output 4:4:4 chroma over HDMI and not 4:2:2 (assuming the Samsung TV supports that) due to treating the TV as a TV rather than as a monitor. No idea where AMD would hide that in the Radeon driver settings though.

My bet would be on either sharpness being shoved up on one device, or chroma subsampling being on.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'll have a look tomorrow thanks for giving me some options to look at.

I'm going to buy another HDMI cable tomorrow anyway as we need a spare anyway so that'll rule it out, although I doubt its the cable seeing as the 360 works ok on it.