1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Thinking about a replacement...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghost25, 21 Jan 2011.

1. ghost25

ghost25 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, got another question for ya, this time about a potentially new laptop. Well, new-er, anyway.

Right now I've got a Compaq Presario CQ62, but I'm not too wild about it. I basically got it to replace my old Acer, which I loved but the motherboard fried on it. I had to get the Compaq as an emergency replacement, as whichever machine I use is for school.

Right away, I didn't like it... after all, I'm not a big Windows fan. But, software aside, it's got some bugs that, to me, are more or less a deal-breaker. The screen seems to have a stress point on it where if I exert any pressure, even just opening or repositioning the screen, it discolors in the lower right-hand corner. The touchpad is buggy, at best... if I can't find my external wireless mouse, I end up using the keyboard to navigate and do any work needed. That, and it just feels off. The keyboard, while not bad, just doesn't feel entirely right.

I want to get another Acer, the one that I used to have was the Aspire 5570, and I already have experience fixing whatever might break. Plus, being that I replaced a few parts before it broke, I have basically a used, parts machine.

Question is, do you guys think it would be worth it, if I can find one on eBay for maybe $50, $150? I don't really want to spend more than that, seeing as how I feel like I got taken when I got the Compaq. Should I buy one that's used? Or should I just gut it out with the Compaq until that dies so I can totally justify buying a new one?

Oh, and I can't stand the touchpad design on the Compaq, it's textured and built into the surface so that if you're typing, your hands rest right on the thing. Another thing I loved about the Acer... it could be de-activated by use of the keyboard.

That, my dear techies, is my dilemma.