News Universal no longer HD DVD exclusive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

No source quoted in that article, and nothing from Universal saying they're going to start supporting Blu-ray.. if, but, maybe.. something solid please.

3. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

If true i'd say the more expensive, more DRM filled, more locked down and not yet fully realised format wins which is bad news for everyone

4. CardJoe

Well, our source is Variety, who has themselves sourced and confirmed the story with Universal according to their own text. If Variety is claiming they've confirmed the story then that seems solid enough to me, especially since Universal hasn't released a denial and the story has been massively reported.

Needless to say though, if Universal does issue a correction then we'll let you know. For now, it looks pretty solid though.

5. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

6. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

7. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I'm bored of it now anyway. I don't care if Blu-ray wins any more - I just want closure.

8. CardJoe

Hm. Oddly worded denial - all it says is that they'll continue to put out HD DVD titles, not that they will remain exclusive. To me, that suggests that they are reneging on the exclusivity and, just as the article says, preparing to support both. Either way, I'll update the article. Cheers guys!

9. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

At least this war is going somewhere, unlike the war on terror. I wonder if the thought police can get me all the way in NZ...
    either way, I've been hoping that blu-ray would win cause of its higher data capacity but in spite of sony's a$$holery and tendency for laying a big steaming one on its consumers.

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Huzzah! Heroes on Blu-Ray at last? If so, I'm going straight down the shops to buy a PS3.

11. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

so, whens the blu-ray drive for 360 gonna be released <_<

>_>

12. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I really never chose a side and actually was about two paychecks from getting the LG Bluray/HDDVD combo drive. But after everything I'm hearing, I'm gunna save myself a hundred US bucks and get the Liteon Bluray rom drive instead. Even if the format war somehow continues, I'll just pick up the xbox hddvd rom drive later.

I'm just glad its (probably) over. The war was chasing many away, but if it's over, more people will dive into bluray, leading to lower prices on media very soon. 1080p/7.1surround I think will last me many years and I am one who would still prefer a hard copy, at least for my favorites, rather than all digital distrubution.

13. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

It just sickens me that people with HD-DVD equipment get let down. These corporations should have worked harder and come up with one format. That would have been fair to everyone. Not to mention all the wasted resources.

And then there's the "mayby" HDCP requirment. My first gen LCD TV doesn't support HDCP, so even if I could get the HD movie out as HD, there's no quarantee that the next movie doesn't get downscaled. What confidence it creates for the tech...

I don't own either tech, I prolly won't for a while. All of this has totally put me off from adopting.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

The operative word here is "current" in the statement released. That gives them an out in the future if the market turns to that point.

15. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

It's all about the money.. If you're always want the new stuff, it will be expencive and sometimes, like in this example, you will end up with a dscontinued lne earlier than normal.

BTW: I still buy DVD's and my first LCD-TV was bought last summer.. ..I'm getting there, just not right away..

To be honest, what's easier to say? Bluray or "eitch-dee-dee-vee-dee" :p

16. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Ah, but remember, people are used to their DVDs. And now they've got a HD TV. So they're going to want their DVDs in HD. Like some kind of HD DVD...

And remember the typical Yank mentality: '"Blue Ray?", that's one of them fish that killed that English guy, the Crocodile Hunter, isn't it?'

17. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Erm. Isn't Steve Irwin Australian?

Anyhoo. Truth be told, I do not like the name Bluray. Sounds as if someone is trying to make the format sound "cool". But I am utterly impressed with the quality though.

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I laughed hard, post of the year lol :clap: :hehe:

That was a stingray, and it killed the Australian Steve Irwin.

19. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Universal are definitely not dropping their support of HD DVD.

Source: Beta News (dated 10th January 2008).

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

:rolleyes: Please tell me you aren't serious. Let me guess, you typed that after you got home from the hockey game. Or was it curling?

-monkey

Tags: Add Tags