1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vote on which remote I should use for my Media PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 8 Mar 2003.

?

Which remote I should use for my Media PC

1. LCD Home Theater Remote

47 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. 15-1994 Smart A/V Remote

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. X10 RF Mouse remote

24 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Packard Bell A/V PC Remote

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Ok this is going in a seperate thread from my project log, and the results will end up there.
    I am having trouble deciding which remote I should use on my Media PC.
    At first the I was just going to use my X10 MouseRemote
    But I have added a serial IR link to the Media PC to support my wireless barcode reader.
    Sooo, now I can use any type of remote I want with the MediaPC.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From left to right:
    1: LCD Home Theater Remote
    2: 15-1994 Smart A/V Remote
    3: X10 RF MouseRemote
    4: Packard Bell PC A/V Remote

[​IMG]

Ok now why I am split on my decision:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: LCD Home Theater Remote
    Pros:
    I love this remote, just for its' looks.
    The button layout is awsome, and it is very customizable.
    It has a LCD that makes it easy to use, and displays the time.
    It also allows for timed Macros to be programmed.
    The backlight on it is BRIGHT!
    (Too bad it's blue and not red like the rest of my PC)

[​IMG]

I can also re-program it, via PC, through the JP1 interface.

[​IMG]

Cons
    Although this remote does have X10 codes built into it, it can't contol my X10 Modules directly, so I will have to relay the X10 commands through the PC. (Lots of work)
    The PC will have be programmeed to recognize all the buttons on the remote. (LOTS of time)

2: 15-1994 Smart A/V Remote
    Pros:
    This is aparently one of the very best remotes ever made.
    Based on features -vs- price.
    There are nearly 700 posts :jawdrop: alone about this remote at www.remotecentral.com)
    15-1994 thread

This remote also has the JP1 interface, and can be programmed more fully than the LCD remote.

Cons:
    This remote does have X10 codes built into it, but it can't contol my X10 Modules directly, so I will have to relay the X10 commands through the PC.
    The PC will have be programmed to recognize all the buttons on the remote.
    It doesn't do much more than the LCD remote.
    The backlight is not nearly as bright as the LCD remote.

[​IMG]

3: X10 RF MouseRemote

[​IMG]

Pros:
    It uses Radio Frequencies and can work through walls.
    I already have the software for it and love it.
    It can control my X10 House modules directly
    It has a Thumb mouse built-in

Cons:
    No backlit
    Does not look as cool as the Home Theater remotes.

4: Packard Bell PC A/V Remote
    Pros:

Thumb Mouse
    Software is already written

Cons
    Other remotes are better by far.
    (Actualy I am just using the receive that came with it)

[​IMG]

The saddest part is that I have had all these remotes just lying in a box years. (Except for the X10 remote)

2. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I think for now you should stick with the X10 remote so that you can get on with the rest of the project. If you do find you want to spend the time X10 enabling the other two remotes I'd go with the LCD one.

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

the lcd remote by far.

4. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

I've voted for the X10 RF since it has everything and works with everyting already.

sure the one with the lcd looks great but isn't practical since you can't make everything with it...

that's my opinion :D

5. Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick What's a Dremel?

Can you mod the x10 remote to give it a (correctly coloured )backlight ?

6. ZapWizard

Unfortunently no,
    I originaly took it apart to see if I could "Transplant" the remote into a custom designed verion.
    The PCB for the buttons is very complex, and there is little room for LEDs (Even surface mount type)

Also the keys themselves don't seem to transmit light evenly, the buttons have white print on them, so they disappear when you back light them.

The two back-lit remotes use Electroluminecent type, so I can't change them to red, without getting a RED EL sheet.

7. Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick What's a Dremel?

hmmmm aint that a kick in the teeth.

glow in the dark paint ?

8. banished

banished Necromodder

I think you should mod another ipaq for the remote :eeek:

I think if you could afford it, that would be the way to go. But barring that, either 1 or 3.

9. wedgius

wedgius What's a Dremel?

I know there are programs for PalmOS that allow for remotes - I used one for a little bit, and you could pretty much program buttons for anything, in any layout. Only problem is, unless you have one of the foldable/swingable Sony Clies, the screen size doesn't really cut it.

There are also some full-LCD remotes (oddly enough, I think Sony made/makes one) that function a lot like the PalmOS program I mentioned, but I don't know if they have the customization range.

I'd go with the X10 for the time being, and look into these options. :)

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

I have one of those Sony LCD remotes, dont think it would work. You cant reprogram it, and its functionality is reduced when not dealing with sony products, or satellite reciever is the only non-sony thing though so its not that big of a deal.

11. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

the x10, already setup, less work & less htings to go wrong as its already working

12. Annon

Annon What's a Dremel?

Perhaps you should check out the remote that came with the now discontinued IBM home director kit. I picked up one of the sets at a clearance sale at the local electronic store and think that you would like that remote. The remote is an RF X10 compatible remote, programmable for 6 devices. The thing that you would like most about this is that it has a very bright red backlight that would match the color scheme of your case. To make the backlight come on, there is a glow in the dark button in the upper left that activates the light for a short time. I checked e-bay real quickly and found you a picture of what the remote looked like here .

13. kiwi-x

kiwi-x What's a Dremel?

from what you've show us so far zap, lot's of work seems to be your game.. go for the looks remote

lcd remote just looks great

14. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I suggest the LCD Home Theater Remote. I mean come on, your making your Media PC look like a Rolls Royce. It's kind of like getting a Rolls Royce and putting on a flame steering wheel cover (instead of Italian leather).
    To top it all off, you will be handling and using the remote more than any other piece on your Media PC. The LCD HTR (Home Theater Remote) looks comfortable to hold and use, and the buttons and LCD are very visable and legible.
    The only bad part is that you can't change it to red to fit the theme. But then again, the blue remote will offer a nice contrast between the user and the system.

But what do I know? I have an '84 Honda Civic with an expensive leather steering wheel cover... :lol:

15. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Damn, I wanted to vote for the first one, but I voted for the second by mistake.

From what you have said and looks, you should go for the first remote with the LCD.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

X10 RF MouseRemote... sure it don't look as good as the LCD one but not having to rely on line-of-sight is a god send.

17. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

->i suggest to use the X10 RF Mouse remote first
    ->then when you have time after the case is done use the LCD one and change it to RED :D

18. chambochae

chambochae What's a Dremel?

It HAS to be the lcd. IT TELLS YOU THE TIME!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

19. ZapWizard

LOL I have that remote sitting in my box also,
    but it doesn't have a red back-light on mine.
    So far the volts are for the LCD remote:
    LCD Home Theater Remote 60.00%
    15-1994 Smart A/V Remote 5.00%
    X10 RF Mouse remote 32.50%
    Packard Bell A/V PC Remote 2.50%
    What I think I will do is connect the X10 remote receiver to a serial port in the back, and not integrate it. So I can use that remote, temporarily.
    Then integrate the IR remote recevier, and program the IR remote later.

That way I will have the full control of the X10 remote at first, then I can upgrade to the IR remote when I get time.

I was still going to add the IR recevier for the wireless barcode reader, so this will work out well.

So the results are:

X10 Mouse remote at first,
    Upgrade to the LCD remote later.

20. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

while the lcd remote is damn cool, i would have to vote for the x10 mouse remote, due to the fact of less work, you know it will work for any x10 addons you do to your house later, and with the rf transmitter you dont need a line of site. I also noticed with the x10 remotes that you can use the remotes a good way away from the reciever and still work.