1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to i-RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rexxie, 2 May 2007.

1. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

Anybody know?
    I'm talking about this from Gigabyte...

Seems like an awesome product, price wasn't too bad, and from what I can see it's got nothing but good reviews.

..but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and where I do find it, it's not in stock...

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

scan.co.uk has them listed as in-stock. Price is £78, which is 920 NOK. Maybe ask in the For sale forum.

Edit: Product Link

Last edited: 2 May 2007
  3. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

the i-RAM is a nice piece of kit, but I wouldn't normally use one.

I have one knocking around, I used it in an XP machine where I could reassign the cache space (too lazy to figure out vista yet) and use it for pagefile.

If you're doing renders/analysis, it's an invaluable product; for most others, there is really no point to it.

It's most major failing is that if the battery goes dead, the data is lost (thus why 2 of these in RAID 1 is the best option.)

I'm still waiting on the 5.25" bay version (see CeBit coverage), then I might get back to using it again (no room on a 680i board!!)

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

They're great little toys, as long as you back them up to a real hard drive before powering down. I wouldn't use one as a boot drive.

But, they're amazing for use as scratch disks, page file holders, and game drives. I've worked with them in the past, I'm considering buying one just to run UT and other games off of.

5. Bluephoenix

has anyone seen the 5.25" bay version for sale anywhere yet?

6. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

haha i was just thinking about this thing! does the Bay one use SATA? and what kinda bandwidth do they get? but even if its still like a third of 1.5Gb's thats still kickass

7. Bluephoenix

the bay is the exact same as the PCI, just in a 5.25" bay format (and using an SATA power connector) it still saturates the 1.50GB/sec bandwidth

I'm holding out for version 2, which will hopefully be DDR/DDR2 compliant, hold up to 32GB and have a 3GB/sec interface (and ECC compatibility)

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Actually the bay version uses a molex power connector which is odd seeing as it uses a SATA 2 connector for the data. [Transfer rate is 3Gbps. The total for the bay will be 8GB of DDR2 400 at 2GB per slot.] Edit: Conflicting info going around about capacity and type of memory. So I may be wrong.

Last edited: 3 May 2007
  9. Bluephoenix

from the bit-tech CEBit coverage it seemed to just be a repackaging of the PCI version...

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah I was going on info from when version 2 was first announced in 2006.

11. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Why do you keep saying it's bad to use as a boot drive? It comes with a battery and do you guys ever power down your computers? If you do you should stop it. Computers are built to stay powered on. You are actually hurting the hardware a little bit each time you power it down.

Some people worry too much.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I for one would like to see proof of this...

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

hmm. well, not HURTING the hardware. But in an industrial environment, it is better to restart than to power down and power up again. You never know if one of your RAID drives may decide not to kick in, or the psu fan may not spin up. Just good practise, but at home? Meh.

14. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I never power down my computer, and i rarely restart it. It's always downloading stuff, or rendering 3d graphics.. doing something.