Gaming What I Learnt from Making My First Game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 30 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Great article Jake, and something I've loved the idea of doing for a while now (not helped by working with a guy who makes games as ImpactBlue Studios in his spare time!)

This might be the push I needed, although inspiration would help too! Could do with that old "bolt from the blue"

3. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

great article - fascinating even if a little self deprecating... i'll keep my eyes open for it next time i'm on steam.

it'd be nice to read about your creative process and further on the making the 'not as complicated as you think' graphical games.

4. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Top notch article.

I would love to make a game but a text adventure would not do for me. I'd like to make something similar to a board game, but then there is the graphics.

5. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Great article Jake. I am in the process of making my own little game with Unity, and indeed is not that complicated, but found myself scope creeping the whole project all the time. :)

6. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Hey guys, I can go on about this all day, just tell me what else you want to know and i'll see about writing a follow-up. I'm currently halfway through my second twine game, so i'm feeling knowledgeable on making those games without no graphics.

7. Panos

Panos Minimodder

When you complete your second game, just share your experience :)

8. MrJoosh

MrJoosh What's a Dremel?

Great article, but now it's causing me problems...

I really want to make a game, but have no ideas whatsoever for plot/style/genre or anything :(

How did you come up with the story line for yours? Or was it just the "bolt from the blue" that was mentioned above?

May have to give your game a try though :)

#FeelsBadMan

9. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Make the jump to graphics.. I dare ya! - in all honesty.. checkout clickteam fusion.. It's drag and drop based, no real programming involved. There's a shed load of good clickteam games in the steam charts doing very well.

For me.. its the opposite way round, I used to be an indy programmer - had quite a big game programming and review website in its day (not unlike what you have with bit-tech now).. but as I got older the day job and family got in the way, ended up mostly playing games rather than programming them. Trouble is.. I never look at games the same way now - I'm not playing it to complete it, but rather to see the effects and methods they use.. One day I hope to find the time to start learning programming again from scratch, until then.. I'll wait for the follow up of this article. ;)

Last edited: 1 Feb 2017
  10. tiger-moth

tiger-moth What's a Dremel?

I'll buy that when I'm back home from work.
    Good luck with the new ones.

Tags: Add Tags