1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What to upgrade next?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nescafe, 29 Oct 2015.

1. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Ok guys i am thinking that maybe its time i upgrade my system a bit. Here is my spec as of now. What would you recommend upgrading next with a budget of about £350. It is only used for gaming and photo editing really.

Asus P8Z777-V MB
    Intel 3570k clocked at 4.3ghz
    Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Quiet CPU Cooler
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Inno3D GeForce GTX 980
    Coolermaster RealPower Pro 850W PSU (8 years old)
    Crucial m550 512gb ssd
    Crucial m500 480gb ssd
    Mushkin Chronos 120gb ssd
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 3 HDD
    LG BH16NS40 16x SATA Internal BDRW
    Corsair air 540 case
    LG Flatron 34UM95-P 34" WideScreen Super-Wide LED Monitor

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Another 980. Or sell the 980 and get a 980Ti.

Personally I'd go for two 980s

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I agree a second GPU, there isn't enough to jump to a single ti to make it worth it. 1.2 TB intel 750 would be nice too. Or you could water cool it.

But really there's nothing wrong with it as is.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mushkin Chronos 120gb ssd - what's that used for?
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata 3 HDD - what's that used for?

I'd go for an 80Plus Platinum PSU + some after-market cables. Not sure if you care for how it looks inside :)
    What makes the noise? Do you want it quieter?

5. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

The 120gb ssd has my films and music on. The 1TB HDD is used to back up my raw files from my camera. Yeah i was thinking about the PSU as it is 8 years old and has more cables than needed lol

6. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Having come from Titan Black SLI to one Fury X I can safely say that going from a 980 (selling the existing one) and buying a 980ti is definitely the way to go.

SLI can be fun but it doesn't always work (Wolfenstein and sequels is just one example) and then you're stuck back on one card.

As an overall experience for me running 4k one Fury X completely smashes my TBs. It's just so much cooler, quieter, more reliable and less hassle when getting down and dirty and just playing games.

I was also shocked at just how poor the TBs scaled sometimes, easily being outpaced at 4k by a single Fury X / 980ti (I did some benchmarks with friends just to be on the safe side).

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Mmmm ideas:

First off new PSU - fully modular. Horses for courses what brand you like but I'm a Seasonic fan (P660W/760W is plenty) although others swear by Corsair, Antec, Be Quiet etc. Super Flower is getting a better rep and cheap price these days too. If you care about internal looks maybe an after market cable extension/replacement kit.

NAS box with RAID 1/5 and 2/3 ~2TB drives for some redundancy for your camera pics, music and movies all in one place? At a minimum it's something new to play with. Stick it in another room removes the noise of a HDD from your PC. Then iSCSI or network drive the NAS - GigE is fast enough for streaming (assuming you're wired).

Consider a new router with better wireless - MU-MIMO will benefit if you've got several phones/tablets on wireless at once. Without it if you stick 1 slower item on the 2.4/5G band the whole network will slow to the slowest device. Depends how big your house is, how much you might benefit from latest router features etc.

120x2 AIO cooler? Or basic CPU watercooling kit for some shits n giggles? It's an investment that'll keep post upgrades.

9. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Are you not happy with your current setup? Seems pretty nice from here. What do you have for speakers?

10. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

I'm using a asus xonar card with a set of logitech x540 but it sounds ok to me.
    I'm am happy with it but I'm sure I can improve it.

11. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Well, modular PSUs don't really thrill me. More parts means more potential places for things to go wrong. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, the fact that PSU is 8 years old would have me looking there first. But if planning on upgrading your graphics, think about those power requirements before getting a new PSU. Especially since that CM is only basic 80 PLUS certified.

12. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Your rig is really quite good. I can't see anything for £350 that would give you a boost worthy of the cost. How are your peripherals? Would maybe a new keyboard, mouse, or headset be a better investment? New Steam controller? Oculus Rift?

13. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

I had the oculus DK2 for a while and now waiting for the consumer version. I got a razer wireless mouse. Saitek cyborg v7 keyboard. T500rs wheel,pedals and shifter. And thrustmaster warthog stick with saitek rudder pedals. Oh and trackir 5.
    Perhaps I will get a new psu and save the rest for a while then..

14. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Nothing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk