1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £350 build that is long lasting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 27 Feb 2013.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Basically another friend has asked me to build him a pc for as little money as possible (maximum £350) but able to last him through uni (at least 4 years).

Is this up to the task and I know it is over budget atm: scan basket

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Is it for gaming or just general computing stuff?

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If no gaming involved, ditch the graphics card as onboard is fine. In this case you can bump up the CPU to an i3-3225 or similar.

If gaming, get an Intel CPU instead of an AMD, as they have better performance in the budget segment, and the better integrated GPU in the AMD would just sit idle due to the graphics card.

Also check if your friend is eligible for something from Dreamspark -- can easily save £90 or so.

4. atc95

The processor I looked at doesn't have a igpu so is a bit cheaper, and yes it is for gaming incl planetside 2 and battlefield 3 if possible at I guess medium settings.

5. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

If you aren't going to be overclocking it you could ditch that aftermarket CPU cooler and go with the bundled one - you went for a Retail rather than OEM CPU. It will be inferior of course, but it shouldn't actually melt, and you will save £20.

Have you already got a spare case, as I don't see one in the basket?

Other than that, it looks nicely balanced for the budget available.

6. atc95

Yes he currently has a case so not necessary, I couldn't find any oem cpus, are there any sights that deal especially with oem processors?