1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

útorrent causing massive system slow down

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kierax, 26 Apr 2008.

1. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

When sharing on útorrent and download I am getting massive system slow down, I have the required ports opened through my router, and I have limited the connections on the torrent and upload slots, and am keeping the upload speed to a 75% of it's maximum speed capable.

Any ideas why, because page load times have increased massively when running útorrent.

2. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

What kind/speed of connection do you have? If you have DSL try limiting the number of global maximum connections (those connections take some bandwidth even when idle), and limit your upload to about 2/3 of your connection's upload limit (remember b is not B when doing this). With my 10Mb down/1 Mb up connection if I go over 200 connections and 60Kb/sec up in utorrent it starts affecting my download speed in other apps.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

75% is too high, I have mine set at 50% of the capable upload speed and it seems to make a big difference.

4. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I'd also try some different programs, out net became (and becomes) unusable when used with certain torrent programs, with any type of settings, but some were better than others. We've stopped using it now!

RwD

5. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

20MB Virgin Media Cable is my internet.

What settings would you guys recommend?

6. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Did you just start using utorrent, or had you been using it successfully in the past and suddenly developed problems? I'd been using utorrent for years without issue, suddenly my web browsing was time-travelled back to 1994 and 28.8 speeds whenever utorrent was running. I tried a bunch of other p2p clients, same thing. Turns out the isp started throttling my connection when I was using p2p. So I solved the problem by switching to an isp that not only didn't throttle p2p, their tech support guys helped me tweak utorrent to get the most speed possible without affecting http or ftp downloads. :thumb:

7. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Yup, it's recent and seems to be a VM issue perhaps.

8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'd run a speed test to see what kind of upload bandwidth you are actually getting, and limit your upload to half that.

9. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

It's also possible that uTorrent is hashing the files as you get them. If anybody's ever used Quickpar, you'd know that verifying a file structure rapes performance.

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm pretty sure it has to hash files as you get them. that's part of the bittorrent protocol, isn't it?

11. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

When you say system slow down do you mean running aps on the desktop or browsing webpages? if it is the latter I don't know if this is true for all ISP's but it is certainly true of some that after a certain upload limit they start throtteling your download.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I share my 10MB Virgin connection with a couple of other people and it's fine so long as I don't download a stupid amount of stuff in peak hours.

In the Preferences section under BitTorrent, i've got:

Global connections: 200
    Peers per torrent: 50
    upload per torrent: 3

I get 300k + downloads and it doesn't kill anyone else's speed.

13. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Hmmm seems fine today I capped down the connections to

100 global

25 peers

4 upload slots

Seems to have worked I have 20MB down and 768K up I've set the upload for 25KBS, and all seems fine so far, I'm browsing at a good speed, for those that asked around Windows all was fine it was loading webpages.

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

My exact setup. I'm on a 20/1 line and this doesn't completely kill my browsing in delays :)
    Also I capped down/up to 1500/50 KB/s
    If you are p2p'ing at 20Mb/s then even 1Mb/s up is only just enough to keep it flowing smoothly. All other traffic will still come to a crawl though :)

15. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guys.

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hm, that seems like an unusually low upload cap to maintain decent speeds. I have 10/1 cable and set my upload to 75KB/s without problem, and have had it set as high as 95KB/s without noticeable slowdown. Well, so long as it's working now...

17. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

Yep it is the upload speed cap. Some people are lucky and they get little upload cap others not so.

Tags: