1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 22" Monitor - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Major, 19 Nov 2007.

1. Major

Major Guest

Ho Ho Ho! (Hopefully there isn't any women on these forums)... :)

So it's time to upgrade my monitor, although I think I know which monitor to get, I would like your input on it i.e. you might own one etc.

So it's the Samsung 22" SM2232BW I've been looking at. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130925

I'm going to be gaming/watching movies + might be playing a PS3 when I get one on it.

Input apprieciated,

TIA

Major

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

not seen that samsung before, but i think the samsungs are pretty good also the viewsonic 22" got a good review in custum pc mag

3. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

I'm using a 226BW from Samsung, it's a great monitor. Can't vouch for the SM2232BW, though. (although, from the picture you linked to, the 226's frame looks better :p)

4. Major

Major Guest

Aye I see the 226 is good, although Im pretty sure the 223 is the upgrade from it or something a long those lines.

Think I'll just get it to be honest, and see how it goes!

(Unless someone replies before I order it with a negative comment, lol)

5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Which one :confused:

I hope you meant the 226BW :idea:

6. Major

Major Guest

Yeah I was reffering to the 266BW. :)

I ordered the 2232BW btw. Coming tomorrow!

7. Elz

Elz miaow

I think he was refering to which one you ordered, not which one was the upgrade. Evidently you were not refering to the 226BW :)

8. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

My parents just got a 2032BW in, Its a pretty nice screen, images seem crisp and clear and it does make movies look nice. I assume an extra 2" wouldnt make a hugh difference since res is the same, just notice jaggies a lil more? Anyway, im sure u'll be happy with the choice, it also looks fantastic on a nice desk with black KB/Mouse :D

9. Hazardous

Indeed I was :idea:

It'll be interesting to hear what he thinks of the 2232BW though?
    But I wouldn't expect to hear anything other than (i.e.): "It's a fabulous monitor... well worth the money... I'm well chuffed with it" - from anyone who's just splashed out a couple of hundred quid on a new screen :p

In fairness however... the 2232BW... or indeed any of the 'Pebble' range... do look particularly pleasing to the eye, with their highly polished 'piano black' finish :hip: :clap: :rock:

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

THe 226BW is still the top of the line model, the Pebble isn't an upgrade at all. Both are good monitors, though colour isn't as good. TBH, if you have a decent graphics card, I would take a look at a second hand 24 Dell here at BT.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=142238 Archie's selling this one
    Your GTS should be able to handle that as well.

11. Major

Major Guest

I would never get a 24", simple as I am a gamer, and to get rid of a lot of FPS for 2 inches, It's not worth it.

I've been reading about te 226BW, and people seem to prefer the new 2232BW tbh, I was stuck between those two though, and they look exactly the same spec wise, except the viewing angle on the 2232BW is 170, rather than the 160 on the 226BW. And I also found this just a minute ago, which explains it is actually the updated version.

http://www.samsung.com/us/experienc...FL=VIEW&PageNo=1&OrderFL=DATE&EXPRV_SEQ=10069

(Oh and it had to be from Ebuyer for various reasons) :p

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Nov 2007
  12. Major

Major Guest

Well it arrived earlier, very nice indeed, and not one dead pixel!

Took a bit of time sorting out the colour/contrast etc, but seems to be sorted now.

One tiny little problem though, it seems the bottom of the screen is slighty brighter than the top of the screen, had the problem with my other Samsung 940BF also, is there a solution for this?

Cheers!

13. Hazardous

I can't think of what might be causing the problem specifically Major... but the fact you had the same problem with your previous monitor as well, would suggest the problem is most likely something to do with your graphics card/graphics card settings :idea:
    Have a tweak of various graphics settings (i.e. in Display/Settings/Advanced/Colour Management, to see if you can cure the problem through those?

14. Major

Major Guest

Well the thing is, this is a different GPU to the one I had with my last monitor, so I can't see it being GPU related.

Could it something to do with the mobo or anything like that?

15. dogdude16

dogdude16 What's a Dremel?

maybe, it is just in your head. Have someone else look at your samsung and see if they see any thing weird before you tell them what you think.

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

do you have the lights on? maybe it's the lighting in the room.

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

sounds like backlight bleed, i think it can vary from panel to panel, i know the early samsung 225's sufferd more than most, mine has it but only slightly and when i play games i dont even see it

18. Hazardous

Had I known that earlier... I wouldn't have suggested it was likely to be the GPU in the first place :idea:

:D

Whilst a possibility of course... he'd have to be one very unlucky dude, to have the exact same problem with two different monitors... even if they are both Samsung's :eeek: :wallbash:

19. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

backlight bleed was quite common on 22" monitors, some better than others and could even vary from screen to screen on the same make and model, the worst i heard about was the samsung 225 that was black and if im right was only sold in the usa as opposed to the silver that was sold in the uk, like i said i have the 225 and looks fine untill i view a black screen with the lights turned off and you can clearly see the backlight bleed but while gaming its not a problem bbecause i dont notice it

http://icrontic.com/articles/samsung_syncmaster_225bw_lcd_review

20. rakoth132

rakoth132 What's a Dremel?

I have the SM 2232BW and i think its an awsome monitor, Really good investment. Was a pain getting it from Micro Direct and ended up getting from PC world.

The change from 17" to 22" was a good choice and the samsung has a nice feel to it!

Tags: