1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic Questions

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RainerJ, 14 Jul 2005.

1. RainerJ

RainerJ What's a Dremel?

Just a few questions... What's the easiest way of achieving a 'frosted' look from clear plexi? I've heard that acetone works, but I haven't found information anywhere.

Also; Is there a tutorial around for achieving clear edges (after cutting)?

Thanks!

2. Thomas3D

Thomas3D What's a Dremel?

frosted, just use sand paper, the rougher the sand paper, the less clear the acrylic is but you might see groves, id go with a medium sand paper.

I usually sand the edges to get it clear, but i know there is a method that uses a torch to slightly melt the edges so they are clear. dont know where that tutorial was tho..

3. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

i picked up a can of frosted glass spray paint from home depot, im going to try it out soon but based on the demo piece of glass they had it doesnt look half bad.

4. RainerJ

RainerJ What's a Dremel?

Will it work on plastic though? Maybe I'll take a spin by the local craft store. I bet they might have something...

5. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

Of course, if you are going to the craft store anyway, they might sell frosted plexiglass :D

6. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Ok...

Plexiglass... frosted look... take your plexi, start with 220 grit, sand it lightly, then 400 grit, sand to a nice frosted look, then use 600 to smooth things out... vola!

For nice clear edges, sand the plexi edges after cutting to 2000 grit, making sure you get all the small inperfections out, and then polish with nexus acrylic polish to get a mirrored shine. Actually rubbing compound for a car also works nicely, but not as fast.

You can also flame polish parts, but it can get a little messy and for percision fit parts it does not work all that well...

7. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

**On topic...
    Thanks for that guide...probably cheaper than buying it "pre-frosted"

**Off topic...
    Riverside, CA....I used to live in Victorville :D

8. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I use clear coat designed for wood. Use very light coats, until you get the frost lvl you want. Takes about 15 minutes to get totaly frosted. And make sure you use a well ventilated, bug free area.