1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD Radeon 6000 series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MorpheusUK, 5 Oct 2010.

1. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

So who is waiting for the next leap forward, well I say leap but if you still running anything older than a nVidia 260 (192) than you know what I'm saying.

I've been looking into a possible upgrade and was side swiped by a m8, told me to wait till AMD release the new Radeon 6000 series. This looks to be quite promising and looking at the leaked specs I must say my hard earned cash is looking like it may be going Radeon this time, unless nVidia pull it out the bag and give us a cracker that's at the right Low to Mid budget range with Mid to high performance.

So what are your thoughts, anyone know of a release date better than October 2010?

If this site holds any truth then price wise it looks very good.

Engadget leaked specs

Priceindie.in
    6770 roughly £170
    6750 roughly £140
    But these are speculations and cannot validate the truth of the data.

2. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Those cards were part of my ongoing upgrade dilemma - a fortune on i7, or a decent amount for i5 with money to spare for a 6-series? Let's be honest, the 6-series can only be good news - existing cards will get cheaper, and while I don't think it'll be a massive leap forward just yet, at least it'll liven up the market a little bit.

As for release date - pray for a Christmas miracle. Anything earlier is lucky.

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'd heard 2nd week or back end of October, but nothing official. I've currently got an HD4870 so I'm looking for a definite upgrade but I'm holding out in case either the 6000 series has an affordable version, i.e. sub £200, or the top end version pushes the 5000 series down a price bracket, in which case I'd be looking for a 5850 or similar.

However, having just gotten into World of Tanks, my upgrade desire has been put on hold. I'm getting excellent frame rates, no screen lag discernable at all, and I can't see the need.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've read many conflicting things about the upcoming 6xxx series. According to Wikipedia, the performance numbers imply a 2x performance boost over the 5870, which would be mental. Elsewhere I hear figures like 30% more performance; the worst sounding one says performance of the 6870 should be better than a 5850 (I should damn well hope so!).

Even though I'm generally an Nvidia fan, I'm always keen to see what ATI/AMD bring to the table.

5. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

I don't get the impression it's going to be a major increase like the 5-series was. It'll be better than what Nvidia has to offer for the next few months though. I would think 30% sounds about right.

6. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

I do hope the 5870 falls in price, I'd probably get a second one then :D

7. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

I'm hoping for a 6770 with around 5850 performance and a (after the initial hype price) price tag close to that of the 5770. If that is the case, then my christmas present to myself is decided :)

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i normally upgrade when i cant run games on max settings anymore and im not having any problems doing so at 1920x1200 yet with frames to spare... probs be keeping my 5850 til HD7xxx or nvidia equivalent

9. alex2k10

alex2k10 What's a Dremel?

If these come out I may have to get myself another 5850 as I hope they will drop in price. But this sounds very interesting b4 christmas I think is optimistic but I don't know stranger things have happened I suppose.

10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I can wait, time to get rid of my crossfire issues and cut down on the power consumption

12. alex2k10

alex2k10 What's a Dremel?

Well looking at that article they will be out b4 Christmas interesting I bet nvidia ain't overly pleased about this.