1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Antec Blues

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xarig, 26 Feb 2003.

1. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

:confused: Can anyone offer a newbie a bit of help?? I have an Antec TrueBlue 480Watt PSU - very nice, blue glowing fans, the woks...... but...... In my new found modding enthusiasm I have managed to short the 12V fan lead (allows case fans to be control by the heat sensor in the PSU) The result is a PSU which works fine as a toaster because the fans (inside the PSU) no longer work.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm a bit reluctant to dive in to the PSU (due to the capacitors etc.) but with your help I could possibly point a TV or Microvawe 'repair man' in the right direction. Thanks

2. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

so the psu works but the fan inside it dosent?

3. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Yep, the two fans inside the PSU don't rotate at all, but the blue LEDs light up and the PSU provides a power output that will power the PC - until it gets too hot. I assume there must be some kind of variable resistor that varies the voltage across the PSU fans and the fan only output connector from it for attaching to the case fans and that something in that circuit has blown as a result of the short across the external fan line.

4. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

i havent played with ne of these new fans but i thought the leds and fans had the same power source so if they have the same source why r the leds on and the fans off?

this is outside my experience so im not gonna even guess about it

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Welcome to the boards, Xarig, though mebbe not a happy one.

The connector you've shorted carries what I figure is pulse-width-modulated power to any case fans connected, hence the warnings against using other led fans or thermal fans on it.

My guess is you've blown the switching transistor, it looks as though this controlled each & every fan connected, including the two inside the psu.

The blue leds won't be affected as they're on the full supply.

A decent repairman should be able to check & renew the tranny. :)

6. Xarig

Xarig What's a Dremel?

Thamks for the help folks, I've managed to find a happy chappie who normally spends his day fiddling with the inside of microwaves, he's going to have a look for me. Hopefully he'll be able to fix it.:clap: