1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple denies netbook rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Apple won't do a netbook?

But they made one years ago, I know I had one!

http://images.appleinsider.com/macbook-mini-070214-0.gif

up to 5 hours of battery life with a 10" screen, was loved in Japan as they could use them on the narrow arsed seats they have on public transport.

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Like Apple could make a netbook; the mac mini costs more than most :eek:

4. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

I suspect the reason they're denying the netbook claim is because whatever Apple comes out with will doubtlessly be far more expensive than a netbook. Look for a Atom powered white plastic 10-12" machine costing £600 sometime soon probably powered by ION given the GF9400s adoption in most of the rest of the line.

Current netbook owners will go so what? The cult of jobs will cream themselves and buy them by the shed load.

5. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The iPhone more than caters for the netbook market in my opinion.

6. bowman

bowman Minimodder

7. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

The 10" G4 iBook did much the same thing - cracking little machine, even if it did cost me over a grand at the time. Broke my heart when I had to get shot of it (was made redundant, needed the money etc.). If you want small form-factor OS X, just get a Dell Mini 9 or a HP 2133 and turn it into a Hackintosh :)

Same could be said of the iPod Touch. I'm not bothered about making phone calls as I've already got two mobiles and it'll be a cold day in hell before I go back to O2 but I'm seriously considering getting a 16Gb Touch for internet tablet/netbook-y type things.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

An Apple whatever for under £300? Hard to believe but something to hope for.

@ interzen: Be aware however that Safari is far from being stable on the iPod/iPhone so don't expect browsing to be as much fun as on a netbook/notebook/PC. Oh, and getting a new version of flash is fun too, if at all possible.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I reckon they just can't make enough money in the over-saturated market so it isn't worth them designing anything.

10. interzen

interzen Real men use chainsaws.

Fair point - I don't rate Safari (I do occasional Mac development work and always use Firefox ;-) ) but as long as it's stable enough to let me do mundane things like check my email, get the latest news headlines, lottery results or whatever then it'll do me. It's not as if I'd want to do any major-league browsing on such a small screen anyway. For these reasons the availability, or not, of Flash wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Oh yeah, I'd be able to use it to listen to choons whilst I'm cycling as well :)

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well, I didn't try to convince you not to buy one. Having a 16 GB Touch myself and hell yeah, I like it. :D
    But I recently tried to follow some live text football action on bbc.co.uk/mobile and it kept crashing every 5 minutes. Quite annoying but what the heck, it takes 2 seconds to open the browser again. ;)

What I definitely like is the Gmail app, a nice way of keeping everything organised.

12. sear

sear Guest

They're going to come out with one. It's only a matter of time. In fact, the more denials we get, the more likely they are to be releasing a product imminently. It's just too cute and niche a market segment to ignore.

Cook's comments are just too ridiculous to take seriously. I have an Acer Aspire One and it's served me well. Sure, I only use it for taking notes and browsing the web when I'm on campus, but it works great for me and aside from some decreased usability due to a smaller touch-pad and keyboard, it's not at all a bad computer for what it's made for. Maybe the average idiot gets frustrated because his or her netbook can't play DVDs or high-definition video properly, or the latest games, but that could be averted by, you know, buying a product that suits your needs rather than simply based on "cute" looks. Anyone who assumes they'll be getting the "full desktop experience" on a netbook needs to be shot, repeatedly. It's like complaining your cell phone doesn't produce photographs as nicely as your $10,000 Canon.

Tags: Add Tags