1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling BitsPower 90 Degree Fitting Review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KayinBlack, 3 Nov 2008.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

BitsPower Rotary 90-degree Fitting Review
    By Edward “KayinBlack” Seales

If you think of reviews, I’d dare say that fittings don’t pop to mind first. They may not even pop to mind at all. I mean, sheesh, it’s a fitting. But I would say that not all fittings are created equal.

First off, a bit of fitting facts. There is currently a general standard for watercooling componentry, namely G1/4. It is also known as BSPP ¼, for British Standard Parallel Pipe. The ¼ refers to the radius of the internal diameter (ID) of the fitting, making it a ½ inch fitting. Also, there are G3/8, NPT ½, and 9/16 fittings available. Those, however, are more proprietary, belonging to ThermoChill, Swiftech and Danger den, respectively.

Moving forward, this is a review of a relative newcomer to the watercooling market-BitsPower. I noticed them showing up last year with some very well machined parts, and today I’m here to share one of them with you.
    [​IMG]
    This is the Bitspower Rotary 90, and I know you’re wondering what’s so special. I’ll cover why I actually found quite an interest in something as mundane as a fitting (I’ve been watercooling since late 2002…)
    It arrived in a sealed plastic bag bearing the BitsPower logo, labeled simply “G1/4 silver Shining Rotary Angel ½ Fitting”. It’s SOLID, though. General estimates put it at roughly triple the weight of my DD Hi-Flow 9/16 barbs. Speaking of…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the accused, standing in to help me explain what’s great about this. You can get a good deal of scale if you’ve ever used any WC fittings.

Looking face on, we can see the ID of the fitting is much bigger (comparatively) on the BP fitting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ID of the threaded end is smaller, though, which does sort of follow, as the 9/16 is a larger threading. Notice, however, the same proportion of wall material left.
    [​IMG]
    Also of note is the captive O-ring, which works much better in preventing leaks.
    [​IMG]
    Just to finally drive this point home, though, the 9/16 fitting actually slips inside the BP partways.
    [​IMG]
    Mounting is simple, it screws in finger tight, and can turn in any direction. Certainly a boon in any case, especially cramped ones. Also, the threaded depth is shallow, which means it doesn’t project into thin topped brass blocks. (Or my Koolance full-cover that’s posing so gracefully.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, this really is a step forward-no longer do we have to hope the 90 fitting ends up in the right place or buy restrictive, smaller fittings. BitsPower makes an entire line of hard-to-find, extremely innovative fittings, and I’m glad to have gotten to show you this one.

My thanks to RealRedRaider of XtremeSystems for the giveaway, and Gary at Sidewinder Computers for making it possible.
    [​IMG]
    Also, thank you to my collection of vintage DD fittings and blocks that I no longer use for helping me display this fitting.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Good review, and seeing as i have 1/2 a dozen of these coming to me in the mail right now you had me at hello.

My only criticism is your pictures... you need more light, a void background, and in a couple cases crisper focus. This will add another level of professionalism to the proceedings - keeping the images on par with the text.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I agree with you totally. I may even reshoot this review.

Medication for pain and muscle problems left me very light-sensitive, but I may just have to grin and bear it. I do wanna get somewhere reviewing, after all...

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

You may want to give you hand a try at this.

Tags: