Motors Brakes

Discussion in 'General' started by EvilMerc, 11 Mar 2012.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

My car (a VW Golf Mk. 4 1.4 52 plate) had its MOT last November and it passed just fine, the mechanic noted some vibration in the brakes which I've also noticed, mostly when braking lightly at higher speeds. Turns out my front discs are warping and I'm in need of some new ones as well as some new pads.

Firstly, what type do I get? Do I get the standard ones or do I get some more fancy aftermarket ones, are they worth the extra cost?

Secondly, can anybody who lives either around Portsmouth or Bristol recommend any places to get the work done?

2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

get the standard ones, you aren't a race car driver :)
    And don't hold your breaks down after a full stop, thats where the warping comes from.

3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Brakes are easy to change, grab a haynes manual and you'll be away.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Standard discs from a motorfactors will be fine, easy enough to fit yourself. If you're not self-fitting, I'd suggest someone like Kwik-Fit or similar (Halfords Autocentre née Nationwide Autocentre) since they'll offer it very competitively, and usually offer a good warranty on brake parts. I wouldn't recommend them for more complex jobs, but pads and discs on (almost) any model of modern car are a breeze.

Smaller garages can be a bit hit-and-miss trying them at random, so unless you get a recommended one you're better off with a fixed-price chain.

5. getDownShep

getDownShep What's a Dremel?

6. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

If they aren't wafer thin, you could get them skimmed at an engineering workshop for peanuts.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Dont forget theres a minimal thickness for discs. Personally id just swap them out with a set of standard pads and discs. I did mine on a similar size car cost me about £60 in total doing it myself. If your nto sure though its best to get a friend who is with tools like a caliper winder or a garage to. Brakes are important they make you stop. If you cant stop you will have problems! :cooldude:

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

performance pads and discs don't last that long and you have to work them very hard to notice the difference over a standard setup.

Just go get a set of disc's from europarts or the like and fit them one evening or weekend, its not difficult and you'll earn yourself some man points in doing so.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

carparts4less.co.uk - euro's cheaper, identical twin. :D

Tags: