1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Bundle choice or new build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eddieboi, 12 May 2015.

1. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Probably should note I'll be using Scan to get all my stuff from. Some will be paid for straight-up the rest on finance. So 50/50 lol

2. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Personally I would choose Asus over XFX, so what about this one:
    Asus Radeon R9 290X ROG MATRIX for £233.99

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've used Corsair PSUs and while their power delivery is good, they're not the most stable or solidly built PSUs. Their RMA service isn't incredible either. I personally (just my opinion) stick to either seasonic or EVGA PSUs. Seasonic are an old, very respected company in the PSU market and their products are the standard of quality that you should expect of every PSU.

EVGA are new in the PSU game but their products are very well built with a rugged look. They look built to last. If that isn't enough, EVGA is respected for their great, honest approach to warranties and RMAs. I've never heard anyone complain about EVGA's customer service. THeir PSUs come with a 10 year warranty. 10 years - that's how confident they are. I have an EVGA Supernova G2 750W. Fully modular, well built, completely silent as far as I can tell. It only spins up when it's over a certain load.

Also, ASUS are a great company for GPUs. EVGA or ASUS for GPU is how I roll. Bartiszon's suggestion is a good one. However, some people have had bad experiences with ASUS' customer service in regards to RMAs. I haven't personally, but it seems good to know.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm sorry. Did I just read that XFX DD coolers are quite good? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. XFX cooler designers need to be educated, in the most polite way possible.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Fairly certain I just read that Corsair PSUs aren't great either. The only ones I've seen that haven't got some of the higher scores on JonnyGuru are the budget models. The RM series are not that.

7. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

THey're not bad, just that they don't break any records. They're pretty quiet and do a reasonable job of cooling - they're just not as good as something like the DirectCU coolers or twinfrozr.

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

the best 290 cards ive used have been the sapphire tri x and powercolor pcs+, both have good cooling and the tri x edges it for noise

9. Eddieboi

Eddieboi What's a Dremel?

Firstly, thanks to all of you for the advise!

I've managed to finalise my build components and they are as the following:

CPU - £187.38 i5 4690K
    CPU Fan - £79.99 Corsair Hydro 80i
    Mobo - £107.96 Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
    Ram - £98.28 Corsair Vengeance Pro Series
    GPU - £233.99 4GB Asus R9 290X ROG MATRIX
    PSU - £72.78 EVGA 650w SuperNOVA Modular
    Case - £137.39 Obsidian 750d
    Secondary Storage - £65.04 WD 20EZRX 2TB

...which brings it to a grand total of £982.81...then add like £10 or so for delivery lol

Once I've had a small convo with the misus and get the stuff ordered etc I will hopefully update this thread with the final product :D

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

See my post number 23. Free Shipping for BT members. :thumb:

11. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

This Asus is for £100.80 in 'Today Only', but you must act fast to get it for this price (Thursday deal).