1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can I conect to 2 internets at once?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by myth, 15 Aug 2005.

1. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

well, Can I conect to 2 internets at once? :confused: I have DSL from verizon and do alot of downloading... I am conected threw the onboard network but I found my neighbors DSL on a wireless network and I was wondering if I can conect to both at once? I'm wondering if I can download one thing on one and another on the other :D

2. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

ummm, im not sure that what your trying to do is exactly legal but who am i to judge? i think you can do what you want with a network bridge. in windows XP just right click on your network connection and click 'bridge connections' probably a little wizard and youre done. instead of downloading one thing with one and another with another i think it may combine the speed of the two networks...?

of course ive never tried this, im making an educated guess. anyone care to correct me if im wrong? but either way this wont screw anything up so why not give it a try and see what happens?

3. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I'de just like to say that someone got arrested for using someone elses wireless network, so i guess it comes down to where to live. You can use the connection, but i dont think you can connect to your verizon internet and your neighbors wireless network at the same time.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Even if it did work, which I'm 99% sure it wouldn't, it's illegal and this quite inadvisable. Wardriving (ie, using someone else's wireless signal), although fun, isn't legal unless they give you permission, in which case it's no longer wardriving. And chances are your neighbor would notice their bandwidth dissapearing.

5. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

you can bond ADSL lines, but this is genrally done at the isp's end or at the exchange iirc, but as for the use of someone elses network, i wouldnt recommend it imo.

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I use to have two ADSL lines one for me and one for my mom but of course the mom's line was used for my old CS server a while ago it was damned fun.

Anyway yeah I don't have it anymore but I always wondered if it was able to "bridge" two connections to form one kind of like adding connections in flashget to improve download speed...

7. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Stealing someone's wireless connection is theft, and if he's a better PC user than you' he'll notice and be banging on your door. Or the police will. Just because it is intangible, it is still theft.

8. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Yep, using someone elses wireless is stealing, unless you have permission, which I doubt they would give anyway.

While you're at it, why dont you steal his cable tv, maybe some of his mail, hey wait until he leaves the keys in his ignition, then drive it off.

9. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

@ op, it's possible, but really hard.

10. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

I do got there TV already! :D ANd there car sucks... The thing is, there never home! Its more of a summer house and then there gone for the rest of the year except for every once in a while there kids will sleep there. Besided, if they didn't want me using it they would of encrypted it! Ours is and soo's another that my router can see.... :thumb:

11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

You could certainly do it with a nice router with load balancing across the two network cards. A good Cisco would do the job. Of course you can end up in chokey and I don't advise it.

12. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Ohh well that's okay then :wallbash:
    You are what is wrong with this world!!!!

13. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

I agree, it isn't right to steal someone's bandwidth just so you can download faster, if you want a faster connection, pay for it.

14. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

If they arent using it, why not... just use it when you know they arent there. they chances of them knowing what youve done are minimal, if they were a remotely tech user they would have encryption of some kind! as long as you arent having to do anything extremely dodgy to gain access by breaking passwords or encrpytion you will be fine.... if anything came of it, claim XP automatically connected you and you didnt know!

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Why not just ask the guy, offer to put security on it for him and see if he'll let you use it while he's away?

16. silentriver

silentriver What's a Dremel?

i think thats what u should do to be honest.

17. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Just like to point out that using somebody elses wireless network IS illegal wether they have it encypted or not! In fact most of the recent cases where people have been fined for doing it have been for stealing bandwidth from unencryted networks. Just because they haven't encrypted it doesn't mean they have given permission. I keep my wired router in the window, so if I leave the window open does that make it right if somebody plugs into it? Nope. If you want more bandwidth then pay for more bandwidth.

Ade

Tags: