1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Crucial M4 SSD Faulty...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 7 Apr 2013.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi guys,

I've been having some problems for a week or so with my computer freezing and then BSOD after. It happened randomly, regardless of what I seemed to be doing....games or browsing or just being idle. It would then reboot and have a boot error 'unable to find boot device'. This would reset by itself after I manually restarted the computer, and it would boot up fine as normal. My computer would then run as normal, until the same happened again. Seemed to occur every hour or so.

Now after much agonising troubleshooting over windows install, memory, drivers, BIOS flash and all sorts of other stuff...I finally pinpointed the error to being my Crucial M4 SSD...I used Acronis to make a ghost of my win install and transferred it to my HDD and everything is hunky dory now.

So...it seems like my SSD is faulty. I have been reading that this may be a firmware issue but could also be a hardware issue. I am unsure of which as I've been reading mixed views on the issue with success for some but not others. I am wondering whether I should just RMA the SSD or whether this issue will indeed be 'fixed' by the firmware update. I've had the SSD for nearly 18 months now so should still be under Crucial's warranty, but is it likely to happen with another device from them if I was to RMA....anyway some advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ps. I run win 7 x64 ultimate, system specs in sig

Yslen likes this.
  2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Try the firmware update. If you still have issues RMA it. That's the only way to know for sure which of your 2 possibilities is the cause.

Yslen likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've had my M4 since Oct 2011, no problems here FWIW (same with my Crucial M225 from 3 years ago). Can't honestly say I've upgraded the firmware for a while though. :worried:

One plus point to RMA'ing is you may get lucky and they send out one of the new M500s as a replacement. ;)

I know it sounds an odd thing to try but have you tried a different sata cable and sata port on your mobo. I once thought I had a DVD drive that went all funky on me and I thought it was borked but changing the cable solved it.

You'd also want to rule out a problem with your mobo port as well.

But as Andy Mc says, it is worth upgrading the firmware before RMAing.

Yslen likes this.
  4. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

have u hit the time wall bug with the drive
    http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/BSOD-Crucial-M4/td-p/79098

theirs a new firmware out for the m4

http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/firmware.aspx?source=web

also try powering the drive down fully disconnect it and leave it over night read that in the crucial forums that it resets the drive as i updated mine from 000F to 040H and had problems with speed but after that it picked up and been great

double post could a mod remove please thanks

Yslen likes this.
  5. Concrete-Coffin

6. SirFur

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I should try the firmware update I think like you said. I think I might have hit the time wall bug. Is that just a firmware issue?

I don't think its the MOBO. There are no problems without the SSD. Currently, I am running the exact same rig, but using one of my Samsung drives as the windows drive. It would have been my next step to check, if I'd still had problems without the SSD.

The other thought I had was....should I RMA the drive and get myself a different/bigger drive. I miss the speed of the SSD and a slightly bigger drive would be very welcome lol. (But the question here is, will Crucial RMA the drive if the firmware is meant to fix it?). Anyway, I'm gonna try and update the firmware. Will let you guys know how it goes.

7. adidan

I don't think they would rma if the firmware fixes it.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I had the exact same issue this week. Crucial M4, random lockups then on restart then can't find the boot device.

I think with two of us having the issue we can safely rule out anything other than the SSD itself.

Was planning to RMA but if the firmware update fixes it for you I'll try that!

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Update fixed mine, thanks all! Rep all round :)

10. Dannyman191

Dannyman191 What's a Dremel?

I had this problem the other week, PC kept BSOD every hour no matter what i did, updating firmware for it fixed it for me, something to do with being in use for 5000 sum hours. If that doesn't work, try update every driver for your motherboard.

11. SirFur

Hey guys,

Right, the win installer was causing some errors. I finally managed to find the iso version and that did the trick via CD boot install. Perhaps it was because I'd wiped the SSD clean and windows had been restored to HDD using Acronis.

Since then I've restored my backups onto the SSD and HDD as they were before. And voila....it's fixed...!! :D

No further issues and I have my SSD back in shipshape. :D

I did check how many hours I'd been running the SSD with CrystalDiskInfo and well I'm up at 5600 hours of on time. So I guess it worked. I'm glad. I just wished I'd managed to find the problem before I went on a 3 day troubleshoot to first find what the exact issue was....and then took 3 days to get it settled. LOL.

Thanks to all! :)

12. adidan

Good news is good. Yay. :)

13. SirFur

Definitely! Very much relieved! :D

So stressful though trying to sort the problem out tho...lol...cos usually its something simple...but takes a while to figure out what is the actual problem.

14. Concrete-Coffin

thats great glad u got it sorted out people