1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIgital Camera LCDs... potential?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by B|ing, 22 Apr 2006.

1. B|ing

B|ing What's a Dremel?

Ok, I read through the LCD sticky and didn't see anything that would help me... but IF I missed something please let me know and feel free to delete/lock/do what ever to this post.

Although I have almost left my modding career behind me in an attempt to graduate college I find myself being drawn back to it even in my art projects. My project I am trying to do is broadcast a video I am making onto as many Digital Camera LCDs as I can... hopefully around 20. In my vision I see a 4 rows of 5 screens dangling in a square like shape with visable wires running between them and linking them. Now, I have access to what has been told to me to be about 40+ Digital cameras that no longer work for some reason or another. What I am hoping to do is salvage some of the LCDs for this project.

Has anyone ever used a Digital Camera LCD on anything but a digital camera? Is my idead even possible? I know to make use of a Laptop LCD on a PC you have to buy a fairly expensive controller... woud the same be true of the DigitalCamera LCDs? OR since I dont wanna connect them to a PC and just feed them some video could I do some crude soldering to just certain points?
    Or if I have to buy a controller could I use make use to just use 1 controller for all the screens?

Or another Idea I had was if I cant get the video from a VCR or PC onto them I could allways have 1 camera where the viewer cant see it facing a TV with the video playing and then daisy chain more screens to the original so what the first one is seeing is projected onto the rest. Could this idea work?

Any input would be nice... hopefully not "OMG UR FRIGGEN IDIET AND I R TINK U SHOULD END LIFE!1!1!11one!". But please if you have tried workin with Digital camera LCDs then let me know you tried and failed and you are sure it cant be done.

Hopefully on Monday I can get my hands on 2 of them and rip em apart and see what I can do!

THANKS

2. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

There's a seller who's been parting out a bunch of Nitemax IR imaging systems. They are a basically a B&W CDD, IR leds and color LCDs.

The complete cameras are gone, but he has tons of the CCDs. $25 for the first pair and $10 each after that. (He also has the datasheets).

The LCDs are IIRC 2.5", they take composite and someone's almost has got RGB working. (There are syncing issues).

Here's the post in the massive thread on mp3car.com

I've bought a ton of cameras/CCDs/etc of him . Great seller.

update
    Here's a link to a big pic of it running vga.

Again, still some vertical sync issues to address.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2006
  3. B|ing

B|ing What's a Dremel?

Got a couple of the cameras today to see what I can do. They are fuji finepix 2650.

The LCD connects to the board via a flat cable. # on the back of the LCD is 2F60000P00 and 230BS and I think the board # is CB0974-0103.

I hope someone here knows a bit about these or knows where they can find some schematics on it. I did a quick search on google for it but didnt find anything. I hope to get some more time to look when i get off work. But Thanks in advanced!!

4. B|ing

B|ing What's a Dremel?

well in my meddling I figured out what leads were the backlight... When I got the + to lead 1 and the - to lead 3 I got it to light up... But I also managed to fry atleast 2 of the 3 LCDs I currently have Possibly all 3... I guess that could be because I was probing at them with the 12v line of a ATI PSU. :hehe: Since I know nothinga bout these and I cant seem to find anything on the web nor does it seem anyone here knows anything, my next step will be to rig up some video cables and see what probing those randomly at the leads will do...

Hopefully someone out there will be of some help to me :idea:

5. shotgunefx

shotgunefx What's a Dremel?

Are they just lcds or do they have driver boards?
    update
    To be more clear, an LCD by itself can't do anything. It's dumb. You need something that knows how to drive it. For the most part, you can't just hook up a signal to an lcd and expect anything intended to happen.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2006