1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dremel question?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Trindee, 5 Feb 2008.

1. Trindee

Trindee What's a Dremel?

Hiya all I have a questions about dermels. In your option (to whom ever post replies) what is the best brand name and model? I will be using this for modding computer stuff and other things. Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks.

2. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

The name dremel its self is a brand name for (ironically) Dremel, similar to Hoover, Tip-Ex, Selotape etc. Dremel themselves make some of the better ones, they are generally more expensive though.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

yep, dremel is the best dremel manufacturer. however, there are no "professional grade" rotary tools, whether you buy a dremel brand or a craftsman it will still be a hobby grade tool. don't pay more than a 5-10% premium for dremel brand

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

As Supertoad suggests, there are any number of Dremel 'clones' available... but you can't beat the genuine product IMO :rock:

5. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

Just stay away from the cordless ones and you'll be alright

6. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I use a cheap £20 one from B&Q. It does the job, though it is not as good as the Dremel. My line of thinking is if I use it enough that it breaks then I will get a good one (Dremel). Though I dont do a lot with it.

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, the cordless ones don't have enough guts so you should stick with the mains powered tools. Plus the cheaper ones tend to have poor quality tools but I will say that the ones from Aldi do have pretty good cutting discs.
    I think the best balance might be to spend a bit more on the actual tool itself but buy the cheaper bits and accessories as the official Dremel ones are a bit pricey. You can save a bit by searching on-line but I got a bargin in my local B&Q a few months ago, whether it was a mistake, old stock or a sale I can't say but I got the Dremel, a flexi-shaft and a tool and accessory kit for £45 - the flexi-shaft alone is worth £35.

8. Trindee

Trindee What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot all I think this will do me some good for when I go to buy one. I have been looking at local stores and stuff for one but where I am at they seem a little pricey to me (like starting at $65 us and going up to $135 us for a large kit). I am going to start looking on line for a good deal and hope I find one. All though I may just skip on buying one now because I have been almost talked in to buying this http://www.grizzly.com/products/Gunsmith-s-Bench-Top-Lathe-with-Stand/G4003G but I am sure I can still find a need for the Dremel.
    Again thanks for all your help.

9. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

$65 - $135 is "pricey"... yet you're considering buying something which sells at up to $3,050.00 :eeek: :jawdrop: :confused: