A/V Echo Reduction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hashed, 6 Feb 2007.

1. hashed

hashed What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I am having a small issue with background echo.

After moving, we still haven't gotten around to buying a bigger TV for our living room, so we decided to move our TV from our den into the living room. All is well except for the fact that this room is rather large and has a high ceiling which tends to cause a large amount of echo (not the echo you can necessarily hear, but the one that distorts people talking and whispering on TV to the point where you can't understand what they are saying).

We've got some furniture in there, but I am looking for the best way to deaden the echo. There is one rug in there, but other than that, it's tile floors and drywall and nothing really to stop the echo.

Hanging or covering our walls with foam is not an option, but what things can I use to absorb some of the echo? I am looking for ideas for inconspicuous items that would look normal in a home.

What do you guys recommend?

2. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

if theres wood floors put down some carpet

3. dom_

dom_ --->

Heavy curtains, book shelves full of books, big heavy sofas etc.

Cover the major reflection points.
    There are lots of online sites covering where these may be. Look them up on google. Usually though it takes lots of playing around.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Try hanging rugs from your wall, gives an interesting look that will blend into the background, but still make a good conversation piece when people realize "OMG, there's a rug on your wall!!!11!"

5. hashed

hashed What's a Dremel?

Heh, I somehow don't think the old medieval tapestry thing is going to be much of an option :).

We've got lots and lots of books around the house so we are trying to relocate some of those into the room right now. We just moved in a short while ago so curtains and new furniture is also fairly high on the list.

The entire house is tile so we are working on getting more carpet.

Thanks for your guys' recommendations!