1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable External HDD Not Booting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Scoop77, 27 Aug 2010.

1. Scoop77

Scoop77 Learning with every post...

Hi all, hope someone can help. Have got a Freecom 250g Classic External Hard Drive, and today it wont connect to my laptop when I wanted to do some archiving. The light comes on on the front but it is making an intermittent buzz and vibration, about every 3 seconds lasting less than half a second. I guess I have 2 questions, firstly does anyone think it's repairable and secondly is the data recoverable?

Have tried uploading latest drivers etc, I did read somewhere that it might be that the wrong power supply is connected and could not be getting enough power. Has anyone heard of that one?

Scoop

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Doesn't sound healthy.
    Does it do the same on another machine?

3. Scoop77

Scoop77 Learning with every post...

No it worked fine with the main PC but then I sold it when the baby was due to move to a laptop temporarily for space and backed everything up onto the portable and stored it away. Got it out the other day to do some archiving and this was the problem. It's just been in a cupboard, not stored outside or in a fridge or any other odd place...

4. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

I have had this problem before, in my case the drive was not getting enough power. Is it powered by usb or an external power supply?