1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Gaming Headsets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 7 Jan 2014.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi,

What has happened to the Elite list of hardware on the website? (or the recommended builds?)

Anyways. I'm looking to get a modest gaming headsets. I have seen reviews of the Qpad and the Asus Vulcan, but they are quite pricey....I have broken so many headsets it's unbelievable and I'd hate to end up doing the same to these.

What other cheaper alternatives are there available. In fact I don't even need a mic as I have a really good webcam mic. All I am looking for is great sound, and if with surround even better but not essential.

Any suggestions that aren't too pricey?

Thanks

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

In that case you may as well just get a pair of headphones, should be better audio quality for the same money, a budget would help with suggestions.
    How do you keep breaking your headsets?

3. SirFur

I step on them after they fall off (or they break after falling off) when I've got them hooked around my neck.

Though it has been a while since I used one, I do have a much better and less cluttered desk space now.

A headset is still nice however, as sometimes you are going to moving to a different desktop/LAN parties, plus despite doubting the feature is available elsewhere but the Qpad's use of using it with a mobile device with dual mic and audio streams is quite cool too.

Budget is around £50 max but tbh as cheap as possible is what I'm looking for.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

A pair of good stereo-headphones and then attach an AntLion ModMic.

5. SirFur

Well.....maybe you misread. I don't need a mic.

I need a good pair of headphones with possibility of surround sound but not essential. A headset is a bonus. but I'm looking for good sound quality under £50 but preferably around the £30 mark.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

At this pricetag there's basically only two options for a somewhat good pair of headphones imho... Sennheiser HD 202II or Creative Aurvana Live! both around the £40 incl VAT.
    The Sennheiser is really hanging on the bass, and the Creative Aurvana is comparable with the much more expensive Denon AH-D1001.

...and if you wan't to go even cheaper, try some Superlux HD681.

And allways use a dedicated soundcard or a small USBDAC for your headphones, preferably an USBDAC like the Behringer U-Control UCA 222, which costs only soome £20.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2014
  7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The HD681's are a bit shrill. I'd give the HD330/440/660 a try on that budget. Also, all superlux 'phones need a bit of wearing in, in my experience.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The HD681 are basically a more or less direct copy of the AKG 240, and yes they may sound a bit shrill first, especially if you're not used to headphones used for studio-work. Sennheiser are dampened and a little bit to the bass, which is why most people are used to that kind of sound, as Sennheiser is known to most people.

I'd say, spend a bit more and get the Creative Aurvana with a cheap USBDAC, that's the best you can do for around £60 really.

9. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The 681's are significantly more shrill than the 240's or any other AKG's I've tried.

10. SirFur

What about the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headsets?

I remember using one many years ago and I found them to be pretty good. I think after some time tho I broke the mic and the headphones started falling apart, but I did use them very heavily. They're at £46 from Scan.

Scan has got pretty good prices these days, the lowest around I've seen.

11. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Stereo performance isn't that great, especially with the EMI-prone amp, and they're really heavy because of the sheer number of drivers dangling off them. They're not bad surround, but I think virtual surround is much better than they were when the Medusa was intro'd and you're better off going with a set like the Corsair USB ones if you wanted a headset. The OP doesn't mind headphones though so I guess he'll probably find something he likes with headphones.

I think the Sony MDR-ZX700 is a great all-rounder. It's closed and keeps out a decent amount of noise, can be used as a portable in a pinch though it doesn't fold. Robust for a plastic phone with no obvious weak points. Comfy. Even sound, good but not pounding bass, clear but not glass-cutter trebles. However at #75 it's probably more than the OP wants to spend.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2014
  12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I have a pair of MDR-ZX700's that I've used exclusively for music on my android phone and I loved them. I imagine if you pair them with a soundcard that can better drive them then they would sound even better.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

God not the headphone brigade. If you want a gaming headset because they make games sound awesome (instead of headphones which are designed for music and movies) then the QPad QH90, or Asus Vulcans are the best that I've tried. The Logitech G35s have the BEST sound overall, but are getting a bit hard to get hold of and have weak headbands which are prone to breaking.

You've mentioned durability is an issue? Get the QPAD. Metal padded structure. Braided cables - they are top notch! Similar to the Razer Carcharias but with decent, thumping drivers.

Or you could get headphones ......which sound great for Mozart but may or may not rattle your skull when you unleash an entire clip of an M249 and dont have a mic meaning you have to arse around trying to find something that actually picks up your voice..... Oh but sound stage...... yawn!

14. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Eh, they're not that different. Though I like the G35 too, outstanding Dolby effectiveness on that set. The Corsairs are a viable alternative... but the sound from either is lacking for sure compared to a decent set of headphones, however you look at it.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, I haven't had personal experience of the Corsairs so didn't mention them, but I expect good things given the brand.

16. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

If you're serious about it, you can get proper standalone mics that picks up proper voices instead of cheapie little ones on silly headset booms (though the clip-on Zalmans are even sillier) that sounds like you're trapped in a tin can - the G35 included. The one on the Beyer MMX300 is noticeably better but the rest of the consumer headsets are much of a muchness.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  17. SirFur

The G35 and Qpad are a little on the expensive side. I won't really be using them exclusively. I have Z-5500s so they will get used primarily at night when the missus is asleep or when I'm being too loud during the day.

Corsair USB is a little non-specific as there are a ton of them....which ones do you mean?

18. SirFur