1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a load of 1p's I need changing?

Discussion in 'General' started by JinkzUK, 10 Feb 2004.

1. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

if you have 'thousands' that equates to a few pints to me so i would just get down to counting them. no offense but in the time it took to maintain this thread you could have done it already....

As i said, count it out roughly, should take no more than 1 min per pound unless you have dyscalculia (not that i'm knocking anyone who does). then you'll have a bunch of approximate pound. simply keep the last part-pound loose to use to top up the pounds as required in the bank. what's left after that becomes the seed for the next pile or food for the blackpool fishies.

Or you could always donate the loose coins to a charity, god forbid!!!

2. batsman

batsman the quiet one

asda where i am have one too,

if you don't have asda near you,

best way is to make stacks of 10 and then make up to a £1 or find somewhere with a money counter you can borrow.

3. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

sainsbrys(sp?) have those coinstar machines. they put 2p for every pound to charity.

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Ubbermich we got them in are Local Asda Mallmart, they take a cut of your pennies though something like 3% or somin

I got a HUGE jar of coins at the moment :p my dads jar had over £150 in it but then all he put in was Silvers so £1s 20s 50s 10s 5s :p mine is full of everything :p I'll get a picci up some time

5. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

I've worked in banks and credit unions for a few years, and if the bank doesn't weigh the coins, they usually have a machine like that coinstar one. All the teller does is dump it in there and kick back for a few minutes while it does it's thing. Keep the tellers happy and make sure that all you have in the tub/sack/jar/rolls/whatever is coins. I used to have to balance the coin machine at the bank and CU, and believe me i found some nasty stuff (old band-aids, fingernails (most of them fake. one real. eww.), misc. organic matter (such as food), gum, etc.).

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Count out a number like 20, weigh them and divide by 20 to find the weight of one. Divide the entire weight of all the pennies by the weight of a single penny.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

He's still got to bag them in £1 lots to make the bank happy. So count the first bag carefully and make the others the same weight. :geek:

Reminds me, somebody gave me a farthing with some change the other day, wonder how many pence it's worth these days?

(for younger or foreign members, 4 farthings = 1 old penny, 240 old pence = £1, so farthing face value = £0.00104167) :rock:

8. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

if you could collect enough together to get at least a penny you could take it to a bank and change it (i think they have to take any money as it still has a value, for example banks and post offices still take any old note to swap for a new one - i've tried it) but then i'm sure i'd be worth more to a collector..

9. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Do like I did.... fill one bag with 100 pennies.. weigh it in your average kitchen scales, then just filled every bag so it weighed the same, then made sure there was 100 in there... you can count coins up to 100 to check than to count.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

Any bank should do it, just say you want it in cash. Some branches are just bitchy though. I use a NatWest branch all the time to get rid of my shrapnel, I am a customer but I don't use the account I hold there, or admit to having one if they ask.

Make sure the coin bags you have match the bank you're going to though, otherwise they won't accept them :) I'm currently counting out a bunch of change... I think I've got £15 so far. I usually go in when I've got over £50.

£50 in 20p/10p/5p/2p/1p coins is incredibly heavy!

11. Fubar

Fubar What's a Dremel?

those green machines charge 9 percent at tom thumb :wallbash:

12. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I think I worked it out that I have abot £60 in twenty pence pieces in a bag on my desk.

13. quack

quack Minimodder

Wow, that'd be 300 20ps. Bet it weighs a ton :) I think the most I've ever changed at once was £85 in all coins 20p and under. I had them all bagged up and was carrying them to the bank in a plastic bag... the handles snapped on the way there!

14. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

One day I am going to go into a shop and attempt to buy something with all these 20p's

15. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

buy a rolls royce in 1p's

16. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

Buy a truck with 20ps to carry the 1ps to the showroom to buy the rolls.

17. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

two options... count out 100, weigh them, then u can make up 100 bags easily... or more fun

Glue them to ur case, and then get out a polishing wheel 4 u drill and get them all nice and shiney... stick them as close together as possible... will look nice...

18. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

damn class idea

19. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

Hmmm I think I might count out £5 worth, bag em, weigh em, and then do that idea :) Cheers for the help fellaz!