Build Advice GTX580 or GTX570 + 64GB C300?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stonedScientist, 19 Dec 2010.

1. stonedScientist

stonedScientist What's a Dremel?

Could pick up the GTX580 or get a 570 and use the extra cash for an SSD.

If I do end up buying the SSD i'll be using it as a boot drive as well as squeezing a few games on there if I can. Can't really spring for a larger C300 as i'm on a budget.

Or is 64gb too little for my purpose? Forget it and go for the mercurial GTX580?

GTX580 is probably overkill on the monitor I have but what the hell, i'm a whore for powaaa. And I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher res ips panel monitor after christmas anyway (funds permitting), so there's always that to think about.

Motherboard : Asus Sabertooth x58
    Monitor: Dell U2311 @ 1920x1080
    Main uses will be gaming.

Thanks in advance for any replies guys

2. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

It's you money you choose!

I think I would go for the 580 just because it's the best atm and 570 doesn't sound as good!

Although SSD's are supposed to be quite beneficial.

3. stonedScientist

Ha precisely my dilemma! I just don't know. Just wanted to see what the general consensus was.

Thanks anyway for the reply :D

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would go the 580 route myself ssd may improve boot times etc but the GPU will give better gaming and if you do go for a higher res monitor it will help with that.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010
  5. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

570 + C300 for me personally. 570 is roughly the equivalent of 480 in terms of performance but handles power usage much better and is rather cool. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/12/07/nvidia-geforce-gtx-570-1-3gb-review/11

A SSD can be VERY beneficial for load up times etc and the games you pack into the 64GB (not including OS) will load quicker.

But overall, it's your opinion. If you want more FPS, 580 is your best option. Having said that, 570 in SLI would be even better :)

6. stonedScientist

Cheers for the replies everyone.

Hmm 570 sli would be something i'd definitely consider later down the line with a 570 (not a with 580 though, unless there's a price crash). But then concerns about the psu and cooling come into play. Got a 750w XFX black edition and a Silverstone Ft02 case with air cooling. Don't want to fit the second card and come up short on those fronts. Then i've got to splash out even MORE cash to accommodate the second 570, which isn't wise these days.

Bang for the buck it'd have to be the 570 + SSD. But add a second 570 to the mix and power consumption and temperatures puts the 580 route in a better light.

Arghhh i'm just back where I started. Talk about fussy! I'll just have to flip a coin!

Thanks for the help guys.

7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I'd go for the 580. I still don't see the point in spending money on SSD's just to gain a few seconds back from the boot speed.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

You can always just lower the graphics settings a touch. You can't make your HDD any faster. Graphic card will only give you some improvement in games, SSD will bring an overall boost to everything you do.

For me 570 and SSD any day.

9. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I'd go for 570+SSD personally. Speedy computer all-round + great gaming Vs better fps (read: E-peen)

10. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

580 if you're getting a higher res monitor, hopefully faster SSDs will be coming out this year which should push down the price of the older models.

11. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

If you're serious about upgrading to a higher resolution, I'm assuming you'd probably go 27" something along the lines of the dell right?

Heard rumours about the 6970 vs the 570 at that res due to the extra ram, not sure though. Roughly the same price so could still throw in an SSD. Something to consider.

If its pure gaming power though you're after, a single 580 I reckon would give better performance than adding the SSD. Wouldn't bother with a multi card setup.

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

You've answered at least a bit of your own question here; your own usage decides what you will want. If you feel that with general usage, your system is fast enough, you might as well forget the SSD. However, this is your choice, it might be different.

To be honest, I'd be looking at GTX570 or GTX570 with SSD if I were you. The GTX570 is going to be more than fast enough for you.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

14. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

This might be the case, but I'm sure that the OP isn't bothered about 20-30% more performance at 110FPS...point being, sure, it's faster. But at that point, it is completely pointless. 1080p really only requires a single decent graphics card nowadays.

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Definitely the 570 and an SSD! I don’t know about you, using my PC on an everyday basis is a far more appealing and pleasureable experience when I know I won’t have to wait an age for it to actually load before I can do anything. On the flipside, I’m not going to notice the difference between 70 and 77fps in Call of Duty.

16. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Is a 580 + SSD not an option? Hold off the IPS panel for a bit and use some of that money towards a decent size (128Gb+) SSD.

Best of both worlds :D

17. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

I bought the C300 64GB, and when i went back to my mechanical one to uninstall games apps etc, you notice the difference, it's the responsiveness more than anything. I would also say that before getting one i was also saying that i didn't mind waiting a little longer for things to load, but now i have one i don't wanna go back:)
    o and nearly all 64GB has gone now, steam. and with a bit of overclocking you could probably get the GTX570 somewhere near the 580.
    GL with your dilemma, either way you'll be pleased:D