1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HTPC Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hateorade, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Hateorade

Hateorade A glass a day keeps the doctor away

I've just built my new gaming system and i'm loving it. This brings me to my point, i'm very lazy and don't feel like selling my old computer parts. I've been reading a bit about these HTPC's and i'm not quite sure what they replace in terms of Home Theaters besides the T.V. tuner(?). I love the idea of having quality control when it comes to DVD playback and what not, but i'm kind of lost as to what to look for. I've read a few reviews (Haven't checked BT reviews yet :worried: but i'm headed there). and most the reviews are very outdated.

From what I understand, it's best to just get everything as close to silent as possible. What I don't get it why these articles are still talking about using P4's when the dual cores where out. Also I don't understand what using a better video card will do or whether or not you even need them if you get a tuner card. Then it brings me to the TV point, you still need a provider I assume (DirectTV, Dish Network in America [Don't laugh if this is a dumb question :p]).

What i've deduced is that this HTPC system will consolidate your TV Tuner, DVD player into one, and when hooked up to a network, has full access to all media files on the network. But if this is your central hub for your TV, will it have a desktop look? Or will it give customizable looks to feel more like a DVD player's menu per-say.(You can choose TV, or DVD, or MP3 from a list depending on what you want to play.)

I'm planning on purchasing one in the future when I figure it all out :p, this is where and what i've come up with so far and it's probably WAY off base.

SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body SST-LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail
    Model #: SST-LC17-B

MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Silent Heatsink Video Card - Retail
    Model #: NX8500GT-MTD256EH
    Item #: N82E16814127301

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply - Retail
    Model #: CMPSU-450VX
    Item #: N82E16817139003

LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-08 - Retail
    Model #: DH-4O1S-08
    Item #: N82E16827106225

HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    Model #: CLARO
    Item #: N82E16829271002

Subtotal: $806.94

On top of this I'll use my old processor which I believe is the Athlon XP 3400 and ill get a new mobo.

Tags: