Modding I'm back from the dead. Modding ideas needed.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by r3Q, 15 Sep 2005.

1. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

I've been lurking for the past three years here on bit. ive moved on to other things, namely car audio and body work for cars. including fiberglassing and all that rubbish.

so i got to thinking, what if i made a case completly out of fiberglass and posted a log of it all and taught everyone who didnt know how?

well. im sitting here with a pad and a pencil, and im trying to figure out what it should look like. and im drawing a blank. i can practically make it any shape\theme i want. it can involve lots of different finishing ideas, but i have a few set in my mind that im going to use.

i just cant think of some sweet ideas for the shapes\contour for the exterior shell of the thing.

ive got some spare cases to do some major kitbashing from.

[​IMG]

and this is going to be the on\of and reset cluster. ill swap out them LED's later however.

[​IMG]

just curious as to some ideas. again, i can make the case virtually ANY shape.and theres going to be some sweet modding to go along with this. so lets have some ideas. im just drawing a blank right now :blah:

and unless somone wants to donate a high gph pump, a socketA waterblock and a nice radiator, watercooling is out :grr:

2. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

make a tree :)

3. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

lol make a shelf

4. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

obviously you guys dont really understand :)

i can make virtually any shape you can think of (and i dont want to make a tree lol )

[​IMG]

thats the kind of stuff im talking about, but i cant think of what shape to make the case... when i get back from work tonight, i think ill have a few ideas to post ...

5. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

A tree would be awesome!

6. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

lol no trees :p

anyone know of some free modeling software that is easy to make meshsmooths and stuff? my 3dsmax isnt working =\

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

why not base the case around the button you are going to use? have a fat circle at the bottom with just the buttin and some grills in place then stretch the other end out and fill it with drives.

If i could be bothered i'd draw a picture!!!!

8. Zheele

Zheele What's a Dremel?

9. Isotopian

Isotopian What's a Dremel?

Blender, my man, is the program you're looking for. Good and free. www.blender.com . As for your case- Make a big ol face! something like www.csm.ornl.gov/ SC99/mask.jpg . You could even make a hinged jaw for the dvd-rom drive bay, light up eyes for HDD activity, even some blue/red watercooling 'arteries' for the neck! That would be the coolest thing ever!

10. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

well. now we are getting the ideas rolling :)

im not sure about the face, im not a modeling student, although i did take art and i am quite an artist, i was never too good at proportions in REAL 3d space with my hands and such. however it is a cool idea.

im looking for somthing that i could put on my desk, and look really cool - however not be an "wtf is this" kinda thing. i like the idea about meshing the case with the button, using that same kind of shape\form for the design, that would pull it together nice. i was thinking i could actually put the button cluster hanging off the front of the fan inside a blowhole with of course some kind of light comming out from behind it. i think that would be pretty sweet and i think im going to do it :)

but as far as the whole shape idea im not quite sure of yet. i do love the design of the iriver, but i have a big arse 21" CRT flatscreen to deal with :wallbash:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Home.2.0.html lby the way :blush:

blender.com got me to some weird music site :duh:

wow dude. blender is jsut about as confusing as 3dsmax... certianly just about as different as to programs can be :waah:

Last edited: 16 Sep 2005
  11. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

ooo mod the computer around you crt and make it look like some crazy machine of war lol with liek with rockets and other weapons of mass destruction, lol anyway make you crt look crazyer and buffer than any lcd out there

12. btk100

btk100 What's a Dremel?

a sphere would be nice. I wanted to do my case as a sphere but I have no skills in molding.

And by the way, is it your car on the picture, cuz it is absolutely awesome!

13. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

no thats not my car :)

my car is a work in progress ;)

i should be getting the amplifier next week. this is a picture of it

[​IMG]

its about 33 inches long :)
    very sexy.

anyway, i dont know about spheres... but modding the CRT would be kinda cool... but im not sure if i wanna take it apart yet. i was thinking more of the profile of the button for the case... if i could figure this 3d modeling program out, id show you a picture :doh:

14. Isotopian

Have you seen those 'monster' speakers or whatever for the Imacs? Theyre like acrylic rounded pyramids. Now, make a giant computer version and an even bigger CRT version, and pair em up with the speakers. That'd look sweet.

15. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

that would look sweet, the only problem is, fiberglass isnt transparent :(

well... its semi-transparent (damn whats that word!?), but it would look SUPER ugly :laugh:

ill draw a picture tonight. i spent tons of time trying to learn that blender software and i got nowhere. that program is too crazy :p

i like my 3dsmax... but it hates me and does not want to install :(

16. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

o_O OMG that is beyond being disgusting.

I hope you plan on making something a little less in your face and boy-racer-ish..

17. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Oh my gosh... that dash looks nice... not my style though...

Doing FG work in my focus right now... :D

How about taking apart an LCD and making a FG frame like they do in cars and build the pc right below it...?

18. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

if i had money and\or and lcd, that would be the plan. but i have neither :(

care to donate?

and james, thats not my style eaither. thats the first pic i found in google images :laugh:

19. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

I love that dash. It's amazing.

20. Isotopian

Haha, yeah I know blender is confusing, but it's extremely powerful once ya learn the interface... it's all I've ever used so I can't help you too much then I guess.