1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there a way to "extend" a digitals camera memory with a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turbahn, 9 Dec 2003.

1. turbahn

turbahn What's a Dremel?

I was wondering If there is a way to connect a hard drive to a digital camera (video or still) ?

If there is a way, how do I do it?

2. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Lol you're talking about pretty much hauling a PSU, and enclosed HD around with you everywhere, an extra what... 10+ pounds onto the weight of a norm digital camera? >.<

I'd just buy more (or bigger) memory cards (if that is the type of camera you have)

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

use a laptop ;)

4. turbahn

turbahn What's a Dremel?

amm... The fact that i'll be adding 10 pounds doesnt matter, since the cam is going to stay in one place (facing the sky).. I just dont know any 80gb memory cards

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I would say a lappie is going to be the best bet for you. Unless of course it needs to be weatherproof then you would have to make a special enclosure for it, in which case it would proabably be cheaper to have a workstation in that enclosure and run a network cable to your main machine. Or get a really long (assuming its a ways away from your main machine) USB lead, you can get long USB repeater cables but they arent cheap and i doubt a joint that is open to the elements would last very long.

6. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I think the best solution for you would be a hard drive based card reader. Then you can take it with you, upload the images from the card, then carry on shooting. Scan.co.uk sell one that takes a lappie hdd, think its about £50 without hdd?

If the cam is taking timescale pics of teh sky, this solution will be crap. Ignore meh!

7. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

What type of card does your camera take?

If it takes Compact Flash these cards are available up to 4GB and Crucial sell them up to 1GB. Microdrives which fit the Compact Flash slot with capacities also up to 4GB may be an option if your camera supports them...

I have a 4 megapixel camera and I can fit approximatley 125 full res highest quality images on my 256MB card, so:

1GB = 500 images
    2GB = 2000 images.

This should be more than enough for anyone, no?

PS If I used lowest res lowest quality I could fit over 32,000 images on a 4GB card :eeek:

8. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

I've wondered the same thing turbahn and seeing as you can connect CF cards to a hd controller I would expect you could do the opposite with ur camera.

Unfortunately I doubt your camera can address all of an 80Gb hard but it might be a cheaper option than buying a 4Gb flas card. Try looking for CF standards which seem to be freely available (had them before :geek: )

All I can say is give it a go, I think I will :D
    I accept no responsibility for you blowing up your camera ;)

9. realhorrorshow

realhorrorshow What's a Dremel?

is it possible to dump them to an i-pod or similar?