1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Jack takes his first swing at Bully

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 12 Oct 2006.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Same here, I really had no idea this is the way adult matrial is treated in the states. Does this mean a 6yr old can purchase pr0n in the states and the person selling it isn't doing anything illegal, therefore can't get into trouble? If so, then my god, wtf is wrong with america's system?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This only applies to games, its the only form of media (as I understand it) with only a *guidance* rating.

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Erm isnt the rating system in the uk is voluntary as well, only certain games (about 10%) are given a BBFC rating instead that are legally enforcable. One of the main sticking points witht the rating system for the US i belive is that if they class something as adult only (the same as the 18 certificate in UK) it can not be promentantly displayed and needs to be out of the way of minors. Now we can go into Game in the uk and pick up any bbfc rated 18 game of the shelf, would we be so eager to go to the counter and go throught the whole nudge nudge wink wink routine to buy the game froma back room in the states?

4. DougEdey

But in the US, there is no way for a BBFC style rating to be ensured.

Also in the UK, if a member of staff does not wish to sell a game with an ELSPA rating to someone that is underage or if they know it would goto that person (i.e. selling to a parent) they are within their rights todo so, I don;t think theres anyway todo that in the states.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

theres always a right to refuse service , thats not unique to the uk. I have to say I'm still surprised that 90% of games in the uk do not have a legally inforcing rating system, I mean even kids cartoons get a rating in movies why not games as well.

6. DougEdey

In the states the customer can demand to have the game, in the UK the decision is the retailers and is backed by law, because theres no supoort from the law in the states the retailers tend to sell the product as it is less hassle and they won't get sued.

7. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

The ESRB is supposed to be a voluntary guidance system (and it is in some ways) but the problem is that all major retail outlets (at least in Indiana) that sell games won't sell M-AO rated games without an ID saying someone is over 18. Not sure they're required by law, but it's most likly used to cover their collective asses in the event Jacko (or another nutjob) sues them.

EDIT: Checked the ESRB web page

Last edited: 13 Oct 2006
  8. daftie

daftie What's a Dremel?

hey guys, first post, bound to happen sooner or later, been following b-t for a year now...

http://videogames.destructoid.com/jack-thompson-ruling.htm

judge found Bully "Not Guilty"... lol, well, he decided to not ban or re-rate... :clap:

"the courthouse got pretty heated, and at one point, the judge had to ask Mr. Thompson to sit down. Also, Mr. Thompson silenced his “expert witness” when he was going to say something."

jack thompson should rly stfu
    (can i say that here?, if not plz just delete that part, thx)

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I don't understand what the fuss is with Bully. People are calling for a ban, even in the UK, and the bottom line is that Bully will probably be one of the least violent games of recent years.

Think on it, seriously, how many people are you going to kill in Bully? None.

How many times will you beat a cop down in the street with an eighteen inch ***** in order to gain street rep in Bully? None.

How many corpses will you find tied to chairs and partially eaten in Bully? I'm guessing none.

How many times will your character be locked down to a frame while you get watch him have his legs sawn off? None. Probably.

Those things happen in GTA San Andreas, FEAR and Quake 4 respectively, and there's blatantly no reason why a child should be experiencing those sorts of moments in a computer game. But that's not the issue with Bully, since Bully will almost certainly be pretty tame.

Bully, at worst, will feature some kid on kid violence, that's a given. But if we can foster a culture in gaming where something like Mortal Kombat is acceptable then how the hell is it unacceptable for teenagers to kick the crap out of each other in a game? Where's the moral yardstick going to be planted? Does a character need to be an adult before they are fair game for the gaming killing fields?

Ultimately what folks like Jack Thompson can't handle is that computer games, particularly the output of Rockstar, are the new punk. Our generation doesn't have the Sex Pistols, it doesn't have Public Enemy, it has GTA. Bully will be a part of that and those that don't like it will have to lump it.

10. daftie

daftie What's a Dremel?

bahleeted!

Last edited: 15 Oct 2006
  11. ogewa

ogewa What's a Dremel?

i disagree they shouldnt be worring about who is gona be offended and whos gona be disapointed, thats not there job.

in my view the goverment should do more to enforce the ratings system, the uk does enforce the ratings system but this doesnt help anyone, parents still buy the latest "GTA" game for there 15 year old kids and wonder why it has so much vilonence in it.

there need to be a co-oprative system between the indurstry , goverment, the press and retail to make sure that all parents know that what the ratings mean and whats in the games and that is enforced.

the ratings are there for a reason people need to know why there there and what they mean , punative action such as jacks will never work it will only make people wonder what the games like and want it more.

the games industry can only make sure about people not buying violent video games by not making them short and simple and thats bad all round.

anyway its the shops not the industry thats responsable for selling the games so its them not the industry that should be punished.

Tags: Add Tags