1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft accused of another flawed Patch Tuesday

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Sep 2013.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree, Microsoft are as bad as most people's use of English on the internet these days. ;)

I find it funny that for those 'in the know' these updates seem to have caused people to suffer emotions from mild frustration to total apoplexy when the vast majority of users don't bother with WU often, if at all anyway. I have not heard any stories of these 'failed' updates (or repeating updates if you prefer) causing systems to fail so is it really that big of an issue?
    I agree that things just aren't the same any more, but that can be said for almost anything whether for the better of for the worse. It has to be said that Windows is far more capable than it ever was and is expected to do so much more than it has ever before, not to mention handle infinitely more security threats. I wonder just how many 'holes' there actually were in older Windows versions but no one knew about them as there were far fewer people/malware looking for them.

As for people's comments about MS not being the same as a whole since Bill Gates left, I wonder what would happen to the MS share prices if it was announced that he was making a return...

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I had three updates that kept going in a download-install loop. IIRC one of them was an update for Excel 2003 (yup, still rocking Office 2003 here as later versions are rubbish). Like others, I ended up just hiding them.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I am having two updates for MSO2007 fail on a machine here.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well it worked out well for Howard Schultz, Michael Dell, Steve Jobs and Larry Page.

And when a MVP feels the need to send a letter to the CEO asking for clarification on quality control, i would guess they know more about the problems than us.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The following usually fixes any stuck updates for me... might not work for office updates though...

Run in an elevated command prompt:
    Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just ran WU again on my system and MS seems to have pulled the updates that were causing the issues. I had the usual 3 waiting to be installed (after several tries, same as everyone else), rechecked WU and the 3 updates disappeared. Nothing to install now.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Yep, same here.