1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft announces LittleBigPlanet clone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think comparing LBP to G-Mod is very fair. G-Mod is a sandbox physics builder, not a platformer, you can make a platformer if you like, but it's not primarily a platformer. The original releases were also very simplistic compared to what G-Mod is today and only allowed you to rope objects together and shoot manhacks. LBP on the other hand is a platformer that makes extensive use of physics and allows you to create your own levels. If anything I'd say it's more copying Timesplitters' (a console game released 5 years before the first G-Mod) ability for the user to easily create their own maps in-game.

4. drlecter

drlecter What's a Dremel?

Actually.... I know for a fact this isn't just coming on the heels of LBP... since I saw a demostration at my Uni of a project very similar to this coming from MS about two years ago.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well building your own levels isn't particularly a new or amazing idea. It it were a side scrolling co-op platformer where the players control their own bagboys and makes heavy use of physics, then yeah that's a LBP clone, but from what I can see, the only similarity here is the create your own aspect.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I agree. Creating maps is nothing special and has been there since friggin' Counter-Strike....from what I have read this game has almost nothing in common with LBP when you compare them side by side other than, like you said, the creation aspect....hopefully both titles can live in harmony and both be forward thinking, new/innovative for industry as a whole.....will this thing cost $$$?

7. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

Then they'll sue Sony for an obscure patent from 1995.

About the "user created content" discussion, at any other time one could happily claim that Microsoft aren't going for an LBP clone, but seriously. A very similar game, announced a few months after LBP, from the PS3s biggest competitors? Its clearly a very targeted release.

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Well as a 360 user I'm much more excited about the announcement the other day of a possibility of a 360 port for LBP. This Kodu thing looks... dull.

9. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

This is actually the first time I've ever seen a site reporting Kodu as a LBP clone, Other sites seem to have said it was more of some sort of 'Learn How to Make Games, For Kids!' app. I think Robbie Bach's exact words (as liveblogged by Engadget) were "We're shipping a new product called Kodu -- a way to help tech kids how to program, and they can create games and share them with other people." I'm sure it will have similarities to any game that's had a content creation system but to call it a "clone" seems a bit much.

I mean, if they were attempting to make a clone they might've at least tried to make it look a tiny bit interesting and not market it directly at children.

Also, just on a sidenote, what is with MS and naming their products with douchey little short names like 'Kodu' and 'Zune'. Could they please cut that out? I swear recently it's seemed more and more like there's some brainless marketing executive with a thousand brain-dead focus groups making waaaay more decisions than he should be allowed to.

Tags: Add Tags