1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Mince Pie Megatest 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 1 Dec 2011.

1. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Hate to be a party-pooper here, but what is Bit-Tech doing reviewing factory-built mince pies? Wouldn't it be better to have a scratch-build mince pie guide? Or should I head over to nan-tech.com for that?

adidan likes this.
  2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Goddamnit blackworx is right! Next year surely you need to have custom mince pies to judge against of the shelf ones! Custard cooled Mince Pies anyone?

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Indeed, very good point.

Get your oven mits on BT! I mean I bet you've baked more graphics cards than mince pies. :D

4. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Have always loved the mince pie review. Would like to see more data on mince meat capacity on these. :)

Good read

5. shuffle

shuffle What's a Dremel?

I ate a mr kipling pie once - then i realised i was trying to chew a gravel stone that was included. i spat that pie out in disgust, oh it wasnt a mince pie a apple and blackberry i think

6. Risky

Risky Modder

I've just though, perhaps the Bit-Tech team should do a post of baking and publish a second test to see who's pie comes out on top and if it can beat Waitrose?

7. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

so glad waitrose scored higher this year! its not like i work there....xD

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I do, Quite proud of this too. So proud and eager to get a good bonus, i bought another pack of 12 this evening.

Sam

9. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Interesting, Selfridges White Christmas gets 85% and Bit-Tech's premium grade award but cost effectively £1 each. Waitrose All Butter gets 82% - yet only costs £0.42 - almost 60% less. I dunno, but Bit-Tech Maths are not as good as they used to be... value does indeed matter believe it or not. I'm willing to give up 3% flavour (arguably intangible) for a tangible savings. Or I can get more than twice as many pies. 3% does not offset double the number of pies.

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

But quality and value are relative to each-other when giving scores aren't they, it's not absolute. I'm assuming these scores are based on the expectations their prices bring.

To put it in hardware terms: everyone says the AMD FX-8150 is a bit of a whiffy chip - because it's being compared to other chips also around the £200 mark - hence a fairly low score. If the exact same chip only cost £50 then it would be contender for the best bargain ever and everyone would be raving about it.

If those Waitrose pies cost a quid each then I expect they'd have scored lower, or if the Selfridges ones only 42p each then they'd have probably scored a lot higher.

Not to mention the fact that this is a subjective test anyway, I don't think it's meant to be taken too seriously...

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Get out. Get out now.

:D

12. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

No Co-Op Mince Pies? They are really good, plus they are two packs of 6 for £5.. really buttery, and generally pleasant all round!

I demand you test them!

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Mince pies come with a co-op mode now? Gaaaaawd!
    Can't anything be released without the pervasive influence of multiplayer gaming these days?!

14. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I have to say, I'm not huge fan of mince pies, but tried the Waitrose ones on the basis of the test and have to admit they are very nice.

Bit-Tech wins again!

N

15. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Haha! (*doffs cap and walks out backwards...*)

:D

adidan likes this.
  16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

That was my first thought too :p

Another good review to get me in the mood for christmas :). Out of interest, how many of each type of pie do you guys eat? I only ask cos we bought some (tesco?) the other week and the first one was lovely, but once I got on to the second the sweetness hit me like a brick!

Oh, and +1 for mulled wine reviews :)

17. magicman#

magicman# What's a Dremel?

18. magicman#

magicman# What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags