Electronics Need help with PCB layout

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rvk2, 27 Jul 2005.

1. rvk2

rvk2 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I'm making a circuit as a learning experience....its a LED flasher circuit. The schematic is on this site:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page5.htm

I usually just make my circuits on breadboard, but now I want to make an actual PCB of my own. I bought the pcb, the etchant solution etc..however, I was wondering if there's a "free" way of getting my schematic into a layout form. I tried using PCB123 and other programs, but none are really free. PCB123 let me do it for free, but it limits the board size.

Is there a program that's really free that can take schematics and turn them into layouts? As a newbie, I find it hard sometimes to turn schematics into layouts. I also have student copies of PSpice and B2Spice, does anyone know if these copies can do this task as well?

2. g0th

g0th What's a Dremel?

I like CADSoft Eagle. Google to download it,

The free version limits the board size too, but it's quite sufficent for many hobbiest projects.

Here's an example of a PCB design i did with it:

[​IMG]

3. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i like Circad98 from holophase... lacks in features, but i dont get on well with eagle.. i find it restricting, maby if i learnt it a bit more i would get on better, but i cant cope with its PCB layout part wanting to know what every component is... circad gives a nice grid representing 2.5mm holes (like veroboard) so its easy to work a layout.

4. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

I'm praying that's an autolayout... Because there are so many things that should have been changed that it's not even funny. You really ought to be more careful when laying out a board.

5. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i can only see a few things, like tracks runing too close to stuff. i tend to make tracks as big as i can get away with and i fill all spare areas with polygon shapes.

6. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

No decoupling capacitors, bulk capacitors and no load capacitors on the PIC's crystal also... ;)

7. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

The thing that bothered me was all the pointless vias. Almost every via could be elmininated without increasing trace length at all.

8. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

There is no program that I am aware of that will make a good layout. The whole electronics industry either still does it by hand or uses an autorouter to start with then tidy up by hand.