1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics NES controller to USB mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 2000flushes, 6 May 2004.

1. 2000flushes

2000flushes What's a Dremel?

I know they exist, and I know that the guy that makes them doesn't use too many parts (as can be seen in this picture.
    From what i've gleaned from the site and other various google results, this is only possible by using some sort of microcontroller that goes in between the controller and the computer (be it usb, serial, or parallel). Said microcontroller interprates the signals from the controller and then converts them (ideally) into HID compliant-ness, making for no drivers, and cross-platform compatibility.

How doable is this for someone with a little bit of electronics (soldiering/programming microcontrollers/pushing buttons) experience? or should I unclench my 'cheeks and just buy a few of the kits? :dremel:

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

He's either using a standard game pad controller IC or, which is more likely, a PIC micro that's programmed to accept the button presses on its inputs and convert them to USB serial signals at the right speed/protocol to get it to be recognised as a game pad by the PC.

Everything else could be figure out if I had the IC's number. You ca't tell from those pictures (i wonder why :p )

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

had a good poke around and i've found a USB gamepad controller IC, its model number is MC68HC705JB2.

As for other ideas, you could try picking up an el-cheapo USB game pad, taking out the controller circuitry, and wiring the buttons of your retro pad of choice to that circuit.

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Theres a microchip application note on using a PIC to replicate the functions of a game port over USB, if you've been wanting to get into micro's now might be the time :).

Or if your to stuck in your ways, try one of those controller ICs, thou i couldn't find any apropriate ones that wern't surfice mount. Another thing would be to buy a Game Port replicator, should be able to get a cheape one for only £10. And putting hte NES controller on that shouldn't be *too* hard, but might require some programming trickery, as if i remeber correctly, the game port only has 4 digital inputs.

Rather than matrix scan, the standard way round is to use the 2 analouge inputs with a resistor ladder, this way u can see any key press directly as they happen.

5. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

Best place to go is here.

6. 2000flushes

So... If i bought one kit, and listed all the contents here, would anyone be interested in trying to replicate the code on the microcontroller with me? I could see how alot of people on the forums would be interested in a guide on how to make a HID compliant NES controller...

7. mattg2k4

mattg2k4 What's a Dremel?

That could be tricky if the units have chips with house numbers, which are numbers that wouldn't correspond to anything you can look up or buy even if its a fairly standard chip.

8. sirgeoph

sirgeoph What's a Dremel?

im willing to bet that since it's a kit, the pic will have the code loaded... but i could be wrong

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i just looked at his kit picture, 3pin ceramic resinator, tant caps, n pull up resistors, plus a PIC16C745.

Very simple to make this using the application note http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/91054c.pdf

Thing is because this isn't a flash micro, you either have to get it right the first time, or buy a UV erasable one.

10. 2000flushes

:jawdrop: wow. i only wish i could be as nerdy as you! :)
    the best i could come up with was this site .:link:.
    now that I look at it again, had I looked harder, (and known what i was looking for) I spose i would've founf that PIC and the resistors/etc. as well. If anyone who is fluent in PIC programming could point me in the right direction towards some good resources and a (?)cheap(?) programmer, i'd really appreciate it.

11. LukR

LukR What's a Dremel?

Hazer's tutorial

12. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

The application note should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

ponyprog
    JDM
    are the 2 main cheapscape programmers, a quick google will find you the schematics.