1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Networking with two different ISP's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarlT2001, 5 Feb 2007.

1. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I am just about to have a new (additional - not an extension) BT line fitted upstairs in the house which will have broadband enabled. I have a Draytek Vigor2800G modem router to hook up to the PC up there.
    Downstairs I already have a BT line with broadband already on the go. Got my Media Centre hooked up to a wireless BT voyage modem router.
    My question is - is it possible to connect the PC upstairs to the Media Centre downstairs in a network? I assume that I will have to get wic's for both. But then I am stuck. Any ideas anyone?

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

That totally depends on how you have it all set up, if you have NAT going on, then it may be possible, but you will probably still need a router in between the PCs, if your using routable IPs then you will deffo need a router.

Also, why not just go with an ISP that can bundle the two links together to get double your speed???

3. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

When I was at uni, we had two NTL connections to the house. If I remember correctly, we had two routers each attached to the NTL modems, then connected the two routers together with the built in hubs. The computers around the house were connected to the remaining ports on the hubs. The internet connection that the computers used just depended on which gateway you typed in when manually configuring your NIC.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

well yes, but both routers will need to be able to be seen to work out where you are going, but still, bond the two connections to get a better one!

5. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

The Nexland ISB Pro800 Turbo should fit your needs perfectly.

6. CarlT2001

[​IMG]

Thats essentially the setup. I cannot run any cables between the two and the routers have to stay in their respective positions.

I am not bothered about combining the two adsl lines together. Just need to access the media pc from my pc.

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

then yes, all you have to do is set the correct gateway addresses in the PCs (dont use DHCP etc)

Why cant you run wires!! :p

8. CarlT2001

I hate cables and my girlfriend hates cables even more than me. Can't have any holes in the walls or anything similar. Its the law.

9. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

"Can't have any holes in the walls or anything similar. Its the law."
    where the hell do you live?

10. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I bet he means it's the landlords rules.

11. planki

planki ...

your best bet would be to get a nice shiny new router that allows you to load balance and has two ports for broadband connections.

You can then do some magickery to prioritise traffic such as voip, gaming etc onto one line and internet surfing and downloading on another.

either that or build a linux box to do it for you and stick something like clarkconnect or something (im sure there will be plenty of other good suggestions for distro's aswell)

personally i would go the linux route as its free and much more fun.

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

its not free, the power + box its self will cost
    fun : not really!

Get a firebrick if you want to load balance etc over two different ISPs/connections

Tags: