1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo shares plummet after Wii U reveal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. Doglobster

Doglobster What's a Dremel?

I was thinking the same thing. With the right game this controller
    could be great. Having the HUD on the controller could be quite
    immersive.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

this however the PC is thier main choice of platform.

3. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Yeah. I was being a bit of a dick when I said that.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yup. I used to own a NES, when I was a kid....and a SNES....and a Spectrum, C64, Atari 1040ST, Amiga 1200...and then, I grew up, and played games on a PC - my platform of choice. As it happens, I still have a SNES, as well as a PS3 and XBox360 on my desk at work - which I use for....that's right...casual gaming, 5 minutes on Streetfighter 2/4 here and there with a colleague between meetings. When I come home from work I hope onto my PC and play something like Left4Dead, Civilization, Company of Heroes, Dragon Age, Battlefield 2, Warhammer 40K etc. All of which are better on the PC than on a console (or are simply unavailable on consoles).

As it happens, I chose to play Arkham Asylum with a keyboard and mouse and was perfectly happy/comfortable. I chose not to play Assassin's Creed and Dead Space because, unlike BAA, they were awful console ports and hadn't been designed with the PC user in mind. This isn't a fault with the platform, it's the money-hungry publishers being tight.

Perhaps I was a little short in my post - it wasn't supposed to be analysed, I was just having fun. Of course there are exceptions, if you happen to like intensely story driven single player games, such as Heavy Rain (ooh, look how much fun shaving with a PS Move controller isn't), then controllers are fine....me...I'd rather have a keyboard and mouse every time.

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Using a Nintendo stock holder's point of view this is a risk. It's a major investment on Nintendo's part and hasn't been particularly well recieved, the unfaithful are jumping ship and taking their money to safer pastures. Can't say I blame them, there doesn't seem to be enough chance to profit compared to the chance of a flop.

That's a very important point. There are likely few member of the forum who have only ever owned a PC. I consider myself a "hardcore" PC gamer, easily putting 3+ hours in per night on PC, and still own an N64, PS2, PS3, and Wii. They have games which aren't on PC and controllers are better at somethings like racing games or 2D fighters.

6. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

What?! I personally would never use a gamepad unless the game was so poorly designed for KB+mouse you just had to (like Shank). The one exception for me is car racing. Otherwise it's mouse+KB all the way. And I've gamed on just about every platform except the xbox (although PC is by far the best).

7. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Ha ha ha... Still makes me smile to see how snobbish most people are when it comes to considering their preferred platform, or how self-righteous some others sound when they classify themselves as 'hardcore' or 'true' gamers for owning every platform...

:hehe:

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

meh. The Wii was a turd of a console. Once the novelty wore off and you realized the only company that made decent games for it was Nintendo who rarely released anything for it it sat on the shelf gathering dust. We bought ours on release day and ended up giving it away in the end. Compared to the hours played on my PS3, xbox360 and PC it was a waste of money. So I don't care how innovative the controller is if all Nintendo can release is rehashes of old IP's. Third party support looks good but I get those on the systems I already own.

9. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

+1 for platform agnosticism.Horses for courses IMO. Personally I like complexity in my games, so I love my pc. I've spent many a happy hour playing on friends' consoles though.

10. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Reading for comprehension is underrated. I didn't mention the myriad of consoles I've owned, sloppy ports,* motion-controlled interfaces or corporate greed. I did assert gamepads are part and parcel of gaming culture, history, and many an "actual" gamer's arsenal regardless of platform; as such, they are hardly "awful."

You play everything with a KB/Mouse? Fine. Your tastes are not universal, however, and you should know better than to $#!T on a venerable workhorse like the gamepad, even if you play all your SNES games with the awesome Mario Paint mouse peripheral (in which case I stand firmly behind my belief you are, indeed, a masochist).

*heh, I'm totally using that out at the bar this weekend...

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Did it work?

Tags: Add Tags