1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noise

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Forsaken, 4 Aug 2001.

1. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

Does anyone have any tips on how i could make me system quieter, Most of the noise seems to be comming from my CPU fan (Taisol 760), and my PSU (431w Enermax).

Would it be safe to disable one of the fans in the enernax to quieten it down a bit.

2. y-it-earp

y-it-earp What's a Dremel?

Depends on how far you push you system, if your running a delta fan take that off and use a low cfm which will not be as good but not as noisy :)

Also you could do a 7v/12v switch on it, when your pc goes up to full load let the 12v kick in.

Or just go for a watercooling approach depends on how good a craftsman you are, and if your budget will allow :D

As for the PSU you can buy quiet ones from somewhere, Koolvin's done an article i belive so check dat ooout!

Mine used to be a noisy ass ho with a thermoengine and 60mm delta fan, but i cracked the cpu and was forced to buy a duron so now it runs on the stock 5000rpm fan which keeps the temps at 33c full load which is nice for a 750mhz

It runs quieter than my PIII 1ghz laptop :)

3. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

was thinking about watercooling, but i dont want to scrap me ATCS 200, and its a little small for it. but i might just be able to fit it in :)

4. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

Add some 80mm 68cfm delta fans to your rig for about a month, and then switch back to what you have now, and it will suddenly will be a lot quiter. :) Or at least the delta will make you deaf

QuietPC.com do quiet PSU's but maximum is 300watts only. My last 300watt PSU died of overheating (in a coolermaster case! i couldn't believe it) so i don't think disabling fans on a 430w Enermax is a good idea.

Try adding noise damping stuff to your case sides. might be difficult if you have a window. I'm going to try and get some of the stuff for a review - I'm trying to silence my computer as well.

The silverado heatsink is also pretty quiet - cooling isn't bad but when i get my new chip things might get a bit toasty.

watercooling is the way to go, but ATCS200 is probably a tad bit small.

5. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

How loud is the fan on a normal Thermoengine, not the delta one :)

Would the Coolermaster 101 be big enougth for a water cooled rig ?

6. BLZ BOB

BLZ BOB What's a Dremel?

The original thermoengine fan i.e. the really slim YS tech is not too loud in fact its pretty quiet it gets noisy when you strap deltas to it :( :):D

7. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

Using a rheobus is a pretty good way of reducing the noise. 43cfm Delta fan becomes acceptable, and the temps don't go up by much (on an athlon1.33 ghz)

I'd be careful not to put the fan speed to minimum, or that would be bad...

8. BLZ BOB

BLZ BOB What's a Dremel?

^^^^
    Yes I'd agree with that, but then I have just built a baybus, didnt want to play with a rheobus just yet though I am sure that will come later ;)