1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd question, Mattresses with no bed, Unhygienic?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mord, 25 Sep 2004.

1. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Recently after accidentally breaking my old wooden bed by a set of draws falling on it, Ive taken to sleeping on just the mattress on the floor (with sheets / dove etc, just without the frame).

But yesterday my mate came over and could not believe what I was doing, he thought it was totally unhygienic (something to do with no airflow beneath the mattress?) and that I should get a new frame ASAP.

The only problem is I love sleeping at floor level, Ive never slept so well in ages.

Very very off beat question I know, but it juts bemuses me how it can be “unhygienic”.

2. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

your friend is right, when there is no airflow underneat the matras, it will become wet, then mould will occurr

sry for my bed enlish but I suppose you get the point

3. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

My bed has a mattress then a layer of wood without gaps/holes. My mattress has yet to go mouldy after about 4 years.

My friend slept on a mattress on the floor for a couple of years. Hes still as healthy as ever.

I believe yes, it could be unhygienic but it will do you no harm.

4. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Maby if I installed 120mm fans in the mattres?? :D

No seriously though, Mould was the last thing from my mind, but It kinda makes sensce I suppose, I could make a small frame that just raises it off the floor enough for the air, but low enough for me to enjoy the simple pleasures of being at almost-ground level.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Not all beds are open at the bottom, so I dont see this being any different.

Just change the sheets regularly and there should be no problems.

6. K

K 528491

I would just make sure you flip the mattress and change the sheets regularly.

7. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

If you're that worried, stick some blowholes in it, that'd be great for hot weather too.

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Turning the matress each time you change the bed (or if you are dirty and dont, once a month or so) will be fine.

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

turning the mattress each time u change the bed, and allowing it to air are the way forward. Most people raise beds to make it easyer to get in/out of.

10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

airflow under your bed? my bed has a base but it is solid to the floor, no air gets around my matress, and nearly 19years of that hasnt hurt me... unless i dont think it has :S.

it could be a problem i guess if the floor was damp, but i guess most homes your floor in the bedroom is quite dry and warm. not cold and damp.

11. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

When my bed broke I slept on two mattresses on the floor for a couple of months with no problems. No sign of mould or anything weird. I did turn them over tho every sheet change.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

the base that my mattress has sat on for 11 years has zero airflow and it's certainly not smelly/mouldy whatever. as someone already said, the only real reason for the base they sit on is to make the bed easier to get in/out of :) i say go for it; if my parents would let me i'd have gotten rid of the base on mine years ago!

13. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

I don't believe that's true. If that's true, the Japanese/chinese would all be dead by now. Lots of people sleep on just mattresses. I don't think it matters personally as long as you keep everything on it clean.

14. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

if having no frame under the bed causes mould, wouldnt the carpet have mould all under it?

But i think because cold air sinks and cold air is more moist than warm air, and the matress is on the floor, I think there is a case of mould occuring because of some dampness??

Mod ur bed, I suggest some Vantech Tornado 120mm fans connected to a 400W power supply, with a fan controller and heat sensor to controll airflow.

Maybe we should start a bed-tech forum? :hehe:

15. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

... If the floor of your bedroom has a tendency to get wet, or damp then yes, most bedframes raise the bed, as does teh box-spring. Many beds are just the matress on just a hard surface, the floor is a hard surface so it will work...

16. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Floor getting damp? my floors never damp? I thought it'd get mould because of that whole "the human body looses so many pints of sweat at thought the day".

If its only floor dampness I have to worry about, I think ill just leave it as it is :)

17. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

leave it as is, i've been sleeping on a futon on the floor for 12 years or so now. it's far more comfortable than the higher up bed, and i'm healthy. mine did get a tad moldy when we had it on the floor in the basement suite, but then again, in basement suites, things get moldy, that's just what happens.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

how ironic :hehe:

(yeah, my humor sucks.. :eyebrow: :sigh: )

19. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I don't think it could be that bad, as long as you change the bad regulary. All your sweet goes into the matress and needs to get out... but if you change the sheets and all often, not much will get in it.. and if you leave the bed 'open' by day, it can get out aswell.

And if your floor isn't cold/wet, then there shouldn't be a problem.

But if you want to be sure; then just get a big sheet of wood, cuts some hole's in it, and place it on some bricks. and pur your matress on that.

Or just try a new hard bed thingy (with all the things in wood... how do you call that? 'latoflex' (or something)). Older beds would 'weigh true' , and thats why you don't sleep so well in them.

good luck
    L